You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer 2.0.3 suddenly freeze out

• 2 weeks later...

I had a similar issue with freezing/not responding Affinity V1 software when trying to create a new or loading an existing document. Here's the link to my thread in the forum:

As I didn't get any real support for nearly a month, I wanted to know if this issue also appears by using the V2 software and so I tested the trial version of V2. The issue also appeared there, which has led me to this thread here.

Changing the renderer from "default (NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090)" to "WARP" did fix the issue and now documents open directly without issues on both versions, V1 and V2. So many thanks to @Pauls for this tip!

Now I would like to know why this happens?

Edited by Bango

I have never had this issue in V1.

Damn, WARP is quite a lot slower on zooming, because my laptop dates from the time prior to Nvidia Optimus (I believe it was), so I don't have the option to switch between integrated graphics and my GPU. This doesn't seem to be a long-term solution. @Pauls is the team working on a patch to help mediate the freezing?

E: This feels as slow as using Adobe software, I'd rather take the crashes, it's unworkable.

• Staff

Warp cuts out the graphics card and uses software to do the rendering. It usually points to a graphics card driver issue. Sometimes completely uninstalling using the DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) and reinstalling the latest appropriate drive can fix issues. 

Its unusual to have a gtx 1070 causing issues as we use a lot of nvidia cards internally and work with them quite closely. In fact it was they who recommended the DDU utility to resolve some issues

Unfortunately, I have already tried DDU and multiple drivers. Customer service from NVidia advised a bios update, but that's rather risky on an expensive laptop. Not to mention, it may not solve the issue and the other bios is from 2019, so also old. 😕

23 hours ago, Intuos5 said:

Damn, WARP is quite a lot slower on zooming

I haven't checked this out specifically but I will ASAP. However, for now I'm glad that I can use the Affinity software again. 

5 hours ago, Pauls said:

Warp cuts out the graphics card and uses software to do the rendering. It usually points to a graphics card driver issue. Sometimes completely uninstalling using the DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) and reinstalling the latest appropriate drive can fix issues. 

Okay, so Warp isn't really recommended even though the Affinity software is working with this setting for the moment. Normally I should be able to exclude a GPU driver issue as I did a fresh installation of my windows system about a month ago but I'll give it a try and reinstall the driver ASAP.