You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Text Wrapping on Artistic Text Ignored

Affinity Pub 2.03

Text frames can have text wrapping observed or ignored. This is good. Image gets text wrap feature applied. The observe-ignore control on the text box works fine.

However, Artistic text by default has Ignore Text Wrap checked, and it cannot be unchecked. Consequently, wrap feature on object does not move a header built using artistic.

Is this a "feature"?

@Classanr

Artistic Text is for headlines and special text markup, not so much for body text.

No, it is not a feature, it is "by design".

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

Correct, Artistic is intended for headlines and "special text". What I learned today is that Artistic shall never observe image wrap settings.  So, the term "text wrap" applies only to /framed/ text, but not to artistic text. Text not behaving like text even though it can be edited like text, because that text is really just another shape-object, therefore will not move out of the way of another object onto which wrap settings have been added. Interesting to me is that Artistic text can have wrap settings applied, allowing Artistic text to push around Framed text. That is a nifty feature where a call-out quote (for instance) can be wedged into the body of framed text and the Framed words will wrap around the Artistic quote. I been using Publisher since V4 and only now considered using Artistic as an object without first placing a box onto which I applied wrap and the place Artistic over that box. I guess I am a really slow learner.

The frame around the Art Text is the size of the Text in it. The frame around the Frame Text is ... well it is the size of the Text Frame. Text Wrap applies to the text. So the wrap would try to push the text in an Art Text frame away, this would have to move the whole Art Text frame which is attached, so to speak, to the text. That would be an undesirable outcome.

We can also have Text Wrap applied to a Frame Text with text inside it. A Word is Art Text.

1394566623_ScreenShot2022-12-14at12_10_04PM.png.cd845c2efe3ecabcfc26a8c84f36c3c2.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.