You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Failed to Open Document - The File Includes Features From a Later Version of Affinity...

Hangman

Hi Jill,

Thanks for the file, can I just check something with you... The problematic .afdesign file is shown as Brique GSR 7.afdesign in Resource Manager and in the layers panel of your document but the file you've kindly uploaded is called Brique begin GSR 7.afdesign which appears to be identical to a section of the embedded file called GSR 7 Group2.afdesign.

Can I just confirm the file you've uploaded the correct one...

279077658_BriqueGSR7.thumb.jpg.e8ac2a79a90dfc1231466d586776c7c8.jpg

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2437) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2437) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2437)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

Hi Jill,

There appear to be numerous issues causing your document to crash but without the linked files it's less easy to pinpoint exactly which one or ones are the culprits...

It would be really helpful to have the .afdesign and .ai files along with the .jpg file included in the document if at all possible, perhaps zipped up and uploaded...

I've largely rebuilt your file without it crashing but there are some strange things going on with it that I can't really fix without the linked files...

Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2437) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2437) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2437)

Hi Jill,

Thanks for that...

Does the Jill Wolcott | Knits logo only exist as a .jpg file, which has then been placed in a .afdesign file or do you have it as a vector file as well... Not a problem if not...

Hopefully you saw the rest of my message about the .afdesign files too...

• Staff

Hi @Jill Wolcott,

Many thanks for your files provided - I've been able to open the .afpub file provided here in Publisher 2.0.4 on Windows without seeing the 'File includes features from a later version of Affinity', however I can see there is certainly an issue with the Linked Brique GSR 7.afdesign file that could cause this to occur.

Having removed that document from the Publisher file and resaved this, are you able to open the following document without seeing the aforementioned error? 

Tulle Brique Collar Test v1.1_F.afpub

In regards to the cause of this issue, our development team have seen a few files with a similar issue and appear to be caused by corrupted placed files, though we're yet to narrow down the exact workflow that can leave a file in this state.

Can you please confirm for me, do you recall any of the last steps you made with the specific 'Brique GSR 7.afdesign' in this document? :)

Hi @Dan C,

Unfortunately, I think there are far more issues with Jill's file, although it opens, it also crashes really easily just by making a couple of basic changes and once it crashes it it won't open again afterwards plus the file itself does some very odd things... I think there is possibly additional corruption with some of the files in the document...

I've attached a couple of crash reports which hopefully help...

I'm keen though to see whether Jill has the same problem or if she is able to work with the new file without it crashing...

Affinity Publisher 2-2023-03-13-154718.ipsAffinity Publisher 2-2023-03-13-154655.ips

• Staff
38 minutes ago, Jill Wolcott said:

I do not remember. I was in the document editing and it failed to save.

No problem at all, I certainly understand and thanks for letting me know - I have logged your files with our development team for further investigation, to see if we can pin-point the cause of this and stop it from occurring in future documents :)

29 minutes ago, Hangman said:

although it opens, it also crashes really easily just by making a couple of basic changes and the file itself does some very odd things... I think there is possibly additional corruption with some of the files in the document...

Thanks for letting me know, I'm not seeing this same behaviour on Windows currently, though there certainly could be multiple issues with this document once it has been saved in a 'corrupted' state due to the aforementioned .afdesign file.

From another similar report of this issue by a different user, our developers have already implemented fixes into a (yet unreleased) 2.1 beta update - so I am hopefully the changes they have made their will also apply to the crashing you're seeing in this file, but I will be sure to inform our team of the crashing shown in your recording and will provide the reports to them also!

4 minutes ago, Dan C said:

From another similar report of this issue by a different user, our developers have already implemented fixes into a (yet unreleased) 2.1 beta update - so I am hopefully the changes they have made their will also apply to the crashing you're seeing in this file, but I will be sure to inform our team of the crashing shown in your recording and will provide the reports to them also!

Thanks Dan, that's great to hear... did you happen to notice the 0x0 issue in the file, only this time with the Linked Brique GSR 7.afdesign file rather than a pdf...

1444104096_ResourceManager.thumb.png.8ee090f7e31a2a78c7ce3e9ec5326e2e.png

• Staff
8 minutes ago, Hangman said:

did you happen to notice the 0x0 issue in the file, only this time with the Linked Brique GSR 7.afdesign file rather than a pdf

Absolutely, which is why I believe this to be a similar cause as the previous reports - thanks for your help as always Hangman :)

@Hangman and @Dan C Thank you so much.  I am afraid that the old version which is the only one I was able to recover yesterday did have some pre-existing issues.  I have more recent versions after I learned about embedding and not using ai files directly.

It is possible that some of the issues are in the afdesign files that were converted from ai.  I tend to do the minimum possible, rather than reworking the entire file.  Somehow at 68 yo I should know that it will bite me some other way . . . yet I persist.

I am waiting for my daily backup to finish, then I'm going into time machine to see if I can resurrect a newer version that has at least fewer problematic files, and my more recent edits.

1 minute ago, Jill Wolcott said:

I am waiting for my daily backup to finish, then I'm going into time machine to see if I can resurrect a newer version that has at least fewer problematic files, and my more recent edits.

Hi Jill,

Let us know how you get on with the newer ressurrected version of your file, hopefully everything will be okay but let us know if you experience any more issues with files crashing etc., :)

I did get a crash when I first opened it, but I immediately reopened and got rid of the TIFF file (not sure if it is a problem or when it became a TIFF), I replaced the pdf.  Then I went through and made all the linked files embedded, checked to make sure that they were all placed files.

My logo file has been replaced and given a new title.  It still doesn't show that it is placed.  Not sure if this is a problem.  I placed in on one of the master pages, sized it to fit, then copied it to other master pages.

Then looking in Resource Manager:  That Brique GSR 7 file with a negative value persists, although it doesn't actually exist.  I cannot figure out how to get rid of it.  If I try to replace it, then the new file shows the same negative value.

The pdf still seems a little problematic.  I cannot resize it without shrinking it.  Would it be better if I made it into an afdesign or afpphoto file?  I've made it a afdesign file.

That's my report from the trenches.  I am able to save the file, which is what matters.  I have renamed it and I'm going to get rid of those old files that were causing problems.

I really appreciate the help.  Learning curves are an interesting journey.

Tulle Brique Collar Test v1.2.afpub JWK edit-Logo-sized 2023.afdesign

37 minutes ago, Jill Wolcott said:

Then looking in Resource Manager:  That Brique GSR 7 file with a negative value persists, although it doesn't actually exist.  I cannot figure out how to get rid of it.  If I try to replace it, then the new file shows the same negative value.

Hi Jill,

You can simply delete the corrupt file from the layers panel and then resave your document...

Hi Jill, I’m keeping everything crossed 🤞but let us know if you still experience any issues with your latest file… 🙃

2 hours ago, Jill Wolcott said:

I went in and deleted the placed files I had just changed, and replaced them, and then it saved!  I am learning how to troubleshoot, which is awesome.  I came here, then it occurred to me to replace the files, and success!

So it sounds as though everything is finally working as expected with your file again which is perfect... :)

That’s absolutely no problem at all and I’m really pleased you’ve been able to recover your file after all your hard work…

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, different file.  No problems, and I just went to save and got that Failed message.  I have looked at the Resource Manager and all my placed files look great.  By going back through each page and clicking on each placed file I found an ai file, which I deleted and replaced with an afdesign file.  

Still will not save.  I have no idea where to look to see what the trouble might be.  I was able to save it as a pdf, so at least I have that.

Here is a screenshot, the afpub file (whether or not it contains the ai file I can't say; it was on page 11), the pdf. The afpub won't open on my computer, but an earlier version will, and I was able to save it after getting rid of the ai file.  I can update it (it was mostly placed files I need to update) to match the pdf.

At this point I am guessing I just have a question as to whether I could have done anything any differently?
Jill

Screenshot 2023-03-22 at 4.35.03 PM.png

Makkah Cowls.afpub Makkah Cowls 3.22.23.pdf

Hi Jill,

See if you are able to open the attached file...

The .ai file was still present so the only thing I've done is to replace it with an .afdesign file... let us know whether you see the same error message or are able to work on and save the file again without issues.

Makkah Crossing Rib.afdesign

Thanks. I had the afdesign file, I had just inadvertently placed the ai file. It was the afpub file which I gave you that I couldn't save (or couldn't save the most current version).  I think I understand what I did, my question was, is there anything I can do short of reverting to an earlier version to fix it.  I removed the ai file, and replaced it, but then couldn't save so the version I gave you was pre-removal.

I think we had a misunderstanding.

Hi Jill,

Try deleting the mru.dat file as follows...

Prior to opening Publisher, go to the Finder, hold the option (alt) Key and click the Go menu. From the drop-down select Library then go to the Application Support folder, select the Affinity Publisher 2 folder and in that folder delete the mru.dat file, then see if you can open your .afpub file…

If you can and your .ai file is still there, remove it again (take it out of your folder of graphics) and replace it with your .afdesign file and then see if you are able to save your file...