You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher PDF Export Issue: What You See Is NOT What You Get.

Here is more client work that I alluded to, that gave me issues the other day. I have a grunge layer set to Overlay at 60%. It looks like I want it in the design, but you can clearly see that the actual pdf output on the left (and in the export preview) is NOT the way I designed it, but hey at least the bleed was working on this one!

2022-12-07_113427.png

18 minutes ago, PaintNut said:

Here is yet another problem that is blocking my work. The pdf for the business card doesn't export the bleed that is clearly there in the design.

It sucks that you’re battling so many issues.

Here’s post about the bleed issue. I’m not sure if the info will be helpful to you until Serif fixes the issue.

Thanks Brian. So, I am not using "Artboards". Is that what Publisher calls a document?

I will see if someone offers some helpful advice on that thread. One of the commenters said that they were NOT having issues when exporting to PDF. That certainly isn't my experience. I will have a look in there and see if I can find a work around for the business cards.

11 minutes ago, PaintNut said:

So, I am not using "Artboards". Is that what Publisher calls a document?

Artboards enable you to creat multiple “pages” in a single document. If you’re coming from Adobe Illustrator, it’s the same concept as in illustrator. In Designer, new documents are not created with an artboard by default, but you can change that in the New Document dialogue… and you can convert an existing document to an artboard, add artboards, etc.

Artboards: https://affinity.help/designer/en-US.lproj/index.html?page=pages/Artboards/artboards_about.html?title=About artboards

Adding and removing artboards: https://affinity.help/designer/en-US.lproj/index.html?page=pages/Artboards/artboards_about.html?title=About artboards

Hope you’re able to get your issues sorted out. 

I just posted a new topic with a similar issue -- I exported a PDF file, the text in the first 3 spreads is fine, but on the 4th, all the body text is washed out. I checked the style sheets, fonts -- it all matches what is on the previous 3 pages. And like you, I have a job that needs to be sent to press, and now I can't. I should've known better than to use v2 of ANYTHING. Really annoying. Gonna try copying and pasting from V2 to V1. Grrrrrr. Here I thought I was all done. Merry Christmas to us.

AFPUB P3.jpg

AFPUB P4.jpg

On my business cards, the layer that is causing the disappearing bleed is the Live Vignette filter layer from the Photo Persona. When I disable that, my bleeds show on export. My problem is NOT solved. I want that vignette to work.

So my workaround was to go into the Photo Persona and hide everything except for the background elements and the Live Vignette layers and then use Merge Visible. I was then able to get rid of the Live Vignette filter layer.

1 hour ago, PaintNut said:

I want that vignette to work.

It's a bug within the StudioLink realm.
Considering the primary focus of Photo, a bleed is usually not necessary there because Photo isn't a layout app. So somehow the Photo filters aren't aware of bleed and cut it off. I don't remember if it was always like that, but the same bug exists in v1.10.x as well.

Workaround:

Clip (aka paste inside) the whole content of the page with a totally blank rectangle of the size of the bleed.
A "double bleed", so to speak… :) 
Totally simple, takes about 10 seconds of extra "work".

6 hours ago, PaintNut said:

I have a grunge layer set to Overlay at 60%. It looks like I want it in the design, but you can clearly see that the actual pdf output on the left

Is the grunge an RGB image?
Try the K Only button. Any difference?

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

On 12/7/2022 at 6:11 PM, loukash said:

It's a bug within the StudioLink realm.
Considering the primary focus of Photo, a bleed is usually not necessary there because Photo isn't a layout app. So somehow the Photo filters aren't aware of bleed and cut it off. I don't remember if it was always like that, but the same bug exists in v1.10.x as well.

Workaround:

Clip (aka paste inside) the whole content of the page with a totally blank rectangle of the size of the bleed.
A "double bleed", so to speak… :) 
Totally simple, takes about 10 seconds of extra "work".

Is the grunge an RGB image?
Try the K Only button. Any difference?

I am confused. The problem that I am having is in Publisher which IS a layout app. Are you saying that the Live Vignette Filter from the Photo Persona in Publisher shouldn't work or that it cuts off the bleed if used?

6 minutes ago, PaintNut said:

Are you saying that the Live Vignette Filter from the Photo Persona in Publisher shouldn't work or that it cuts off the bleed if used?

I'm saying that it's apparently a bug, i.e. that both apps – which are generally sharing the same document format – should be aware of each other's respective features, but in this special case they are apparently not. The "Photo persona" only exists because you have Photo installed. So the persona only does what Photo would do by itself as well.

I haven't tested the new beta versions yet, if there was a specific bugfix that would resolve it. The Photo beta was released just earlier today.

So if you need a fix now, simply follow my workaround and you're set. :) 

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

On 12/7/2022 at 6:02 PM, PaintNut said:

On my business cards, the layer that is causing the disappearing bleed is the Live Vignette filter layer from the Photo Persona. When I disable that, my bleeds show on export. My problem is NOT solved. I want that vignette to work.

I'm a bit confused. What did you apply the filter to? If you applied it to the entire page, wouldn't you expect it to also affect the Bleed area?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1