You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo: Flip Horizontal Function for the Clone Stamp Tool

Is there a symmetry mode for the Clone Stamp tool?

I want to use the Clone Stamp to mirror one side of my image to the other side.

For example, in the image that I have attached, I wanted to copy the eye from one side of the portrait and paint it on the other side. If I use the clone stamp normally, both eyes will be facing in the same direction, which doesn't look right. I need the clone stamp to be flipped horizontally, so that it will mirror the eye.

Thank you for your help!

Clone Stamp mirrored in symmetry mode.png

In the context toolbar, for the clone tool, there is an option called Flip on the right-hand side.

If you have a small screen it may not display, so use the arrows there to see the other options

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

On 12/4/2022 at 11:11 PM, carl123 said:

In the context toolbar, for the clone tool, there is an option called Flip on the right-hand side.

If you have a small screen it may not display, so use the arrows there to see the other options

Thank you for pointing this out to me! :)

My laptop screen is pretty big, but I still had to make the Affinity Photo window full-screen in order to be able to see this option.

1 hour ago, andren said:

My laptop screen is pretty big, but I still had to make the Affinity Photo window full-screen in order to be able to see this option.

Did you try clicking on the >> icon at the end of the Context toolbar to see the items that won't fit? That should work even if the window is too narrow to show all the items on it.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

On 12/10/2022 at 3:36 PM, R C-R said:

Did you try clicking on the >> icon at the end of the Context toolbar to see the items that won't fit? That should work even if the window is too narrow to show all the items on it.

Thank you :)

That is a useful tip. It looks like it's possible to also access the Flip function that way.