You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AVIF Support Needed.

Hey Guys, 

AVIF support would be greatly appreciated. I know this has been a long requested feature since version 1 but still no word on when this will be implemented from Serif?

Thank you for JPEG XL but due to Google being just downright awkward and deprecating the XL codec in version M110 AVIF is really the only choice to use with current gen technology for higher quality smaller file sizes.

Can we please get an update on where things are with this?

Great job on the software. The future for these apps is very bright.

Kind regards

Mike

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
27 minutes ago, sacb0y said:

AVIF is much smaller than JpegXL though, especially for HDR images. 

This is not true.

This is a benchmark chart made by Jon Sneyers in May of this year, it clearly shows JPEG XL to be superior in all scenarios, in both quality and encode speed, with well considered encode settings chosen for all formats.

plot-2023-05.png.53c3f6ec4673d66d63e0f20fa18740f6.png

All credit for the chart goes to Jon Sneyers.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, please add AVIF to Affinity.   

https://caniuse.com/?search=avif 85% global support

https://caniuse.com/jpegxl .03% global support

JPEG XL sounds wonderful. Wish it was happening, but not now. Not yet.  And with Chrome dropping out and WebKit updates happening only on leap years, I wouldn't hold my breath.

1. Web distribution isn't everything.

2. With MacOS/iOS/iPadOS (Safari), and in the future, Edge, adding JPEG XL, we'll see if the Chromium team won't get their head out of their behind.

3. Edge actively removes AVIF support. Microsoft implements a lot of stuff outside of Chromium, and there's whispers about Microsoft adding JPEG XL support in the future.

?   I'm just curious, but I can't think of anything I'd use a format like AVIF, JPEG XL or any highly compressed format for except the web.  If it's just for personal storage?  You can buy a terabyte drive for $30, so why not save the original?    I suppose you could use them in a phone app, but most phone apps are just websites (progressive web apps) underneath the hood.   Maybe I should watch Silicon Valley again.  They talked about it a lot. Hmmm.   I do think JPEG XL sounds like the best format, but even Google dropped it and they were the main advocate initially. Now they just tell you to use AVIF or WEBP if you don't want your SEO ding'd for inefficient images (and webp is a sorry excuse for a new-ish image format).

1 hour ago, Max Rockbin said:

?   I'm just curious, but I can't think of anything I'd use a format like AVIF, JPEG XL or any highly compressed format for except the web.  If it's just for personal storage?  You can buy a terabyte drive for $30, so why not save the original?    I suppose you could use them in a phone app, but most phone apps are just websites (progressive web apps) underneath the hood.   Maybe I should watch Silicon Valley again.  They talked about it a lot. Hmmm.   I do think JPEG XL sounds like the best format, but even Google dropped it and they were the main advocate initially. Now they just tell you to use AVIF or WEBP if you don't want your SEO ding'd for inefficient images (and webp is a sorry excuse for a new-ish image format).

AVIF natively stores 10bit data, webp in this iteration is still just a 8bit file format. With screen brightness finally rising thanks to miniLed, oled screens and/or local dimming LCDs HDR becomes a reasonable thing for the web. both are much more efficient codecs and they can store animation. if you have used a iphone, you might have noticed the live photo option that is created when you hold the trigger for a second or two. instead of a single photo you'll see playback of that moment. 

I don't know how important HDR images for the web might become, but lots of things that i would have considered a pointless gimmick turned out to be a thing that tens of millions of people enjoy 🤷‍♂️

• 3 weeks later...

It's used more widely than AVIF or JPEGXL just cause xbox and nvidia use it for screenshots, and the native windows photo viewer supports it in full HDR. It is currently the only consumer level viewer for HDR images.

There's likely more JXR images out there than AVIF and JPEGXL combined. 

Service like short pixel usés by millions wordpress site now convert convert to. AVIF.

AVIF is better than. WebP and it make sense.

but would be much better if we could export to AVIF from affinity !

AVIF is substituting jpeg, png and GIF !

We definitely need AVIF instead of having to use heavy load service like short pixel to make out websites lighter. 

https://shortpixel.com

Next-gen WebP and AVIF formats

While JPEG is still the most popular format, new formats like WebP and AVIF offer better image quality at smaller file sizes. And that means faster websites and therefore better SEO rankings. Who does not want that?! 
ShortPixel takes all the complexity away from you and makes everything simple: with just a few clicks you can convert all your JPG/PNG images to WebP/AVIF and make them available to the right browsers.

• 2 months later...

Even Microsoft Paint supports AVIF and HEIC (same container format, different embedded image codecs) these days. Many websites use AVIF these days but the files carry the .jpg file extension, so it's often not obvious.

Please add support for AVIF/HEIC.