You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

png not supported - still

Little help please, 

I upgraded to V2 for all three apps, and have yet again been stopped in my tracks by: The file type is not supported, error. I know this was an issue on v1 but I was not expecting it to still be here on v2.

Could someone please advise me how to overcome this? I just want to dive into the resource manager and relink the files. Not convert, or open in another app.

Publisher V2.png

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums, @RhaynGuitar

Sorry to hear you're having problems, but I'm a bit confused by your topic title: PNG not supported - still

PNG files have been supported for a very long time. So, is this a problem you've had previously (with V1), or is this something new?

I'm also a bit confused by the screenshot you have, which appears to indicate you have a PNG file with a CMYK color format. PNG supports only RGB, so I'm not sure how you would get one that is CMYK. Can you provide more details about that file, and how you created it?

Also, if possible, can you provide a copy of the file for us to examine?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Are they really "PNG" files? Isn't it a different file type that was just renamed to *.png? see also the mention of CMYK, which is not supported in png files.

image.png.57f4686ef2805b3a4a3fc7cfc225b1ac.png

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/12/2022 at 1:41 AM, walt.farrell said:

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums, @RhaynGuitar

Sorry to hear you're having problems, but I'm a bit confused by your topic title: PNG not supported - still

PNG files have been supported for a very long time. So, is this a problem you've had previously (with V1), or is this something new?

I'm also a bit confused by the screenshot you have, which appears to indicate you have a PNG file with a CMYK color format. PNG supports only RGB, so I'm not sure how you would get one that is CMYK. Can you provide more details about that file, and how you created it?

Also, if possible, can you provide a copy of the file for us to examine?

Hi Walt,

Thanks for answering. It is indeed RGB, I doubled checked. That (CYMK etc.)is extra information on the side is from Affinity's resource manager. (The dimensions and everything are off, it is 3000x2400.) That is not the file information at all. Which I have attached here. This file was created in Photoshop. Let me know if there is anything that does not work in this file. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

And yes, I have had issues opening .png files with affinity before.

Large circle.png

The PNG file above opens fine in my v2 and also in my v1 of Affinity apps.

I notice you are linking from an external drive so I did the same and it still works.

image.thumb.png.9287c7f3777d86e0bc6b6a2f84ed4cd8.png

All Affinity apps support PNG files, this is something to do with your system not Affinity. Have you tried placing the file locally such as on the desktop or in Documents and not on an external drive; although it works perfectly fine from my Western Digital Elements drive, it also works from a local source.

This one is linked from my External WD Elements Drive.
image.thumb.png.dc4f47773a214ca88d579ba7fc7eefff.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Does the PNG file open in Preview, can you single click on the file and press space and preview it?

I've seen a lot of issues with PNG files not opening on Windows10/11 but very few issues on Mac and generally most issues on Mac are related to the file not loading in Preview.

Have you tried running First Aid from Disk Utility to repair permissions etc?
https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT210898

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

41 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

I notice you are linking from an external drive so I did the same and it still works.

The screenshot in the first post says "Dropbox" in the path. Aren't these files from external storage service by any chance, and any related problems?

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

By the look the dropbox reference is likely a folder that maybe synced with a remote folder on dropbox but the E:\ at the start indicates the location is either an internal second HDD (Local) or an external HDD/USB. Because it is Mac I would err on the side of an external HDD.

Placing the file on the desktop and opening with Preview would go some way to finding out if the issue is more system than Affinity.

Thank you very much.

I have just done a test on the file, not through the resource manager, but on the desktop and opened it with Designer V2 first; and it works fine. I then went into the document, and tried again with Publisher V2. No issues, it all relinked. I suspect that @firstdefence and @Pšenda are correct. It is down to my pathway on the external drive. 

Appreciate all the help. Thank you.