You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Feature Request: Double tap Apple Pencil to Activate Menu

OK, so hear me out.

The option to double tap the apple pencil is available in the settings. Currently it allows you to set double tap actions per tool.  Could you add the option to universally activate the 3 finger swipe menu with a Pencil double tap? 

This would negate the need to raise your pencil and change you hand orientation to activate this menu, since double tapping the pencil is such an easy action. 

Thoughts?

IMG_6A1E897BF981-1.jpeg

IMG_39162D7C7AE8-1.jpeg

Edited by TonyO
Adding more info

Art director by day, illustrator by night: Check Out My Shutterstock Gallery

Nice idea…in my procreate app i tweaked the setting to invoke quickmenu if touch/single tap the square button which is in middle between brush and opacity slidebars…

My suggestion is they could implement this in “ ? “ button.. if we single tap the “?” It will invoke the quickmenu.. and if we long press “?”  It will show name of the all tools.. in this way they can avoid adding one more icon just for quickmenu alone..

And change the icon somewhat to letter Q ..  it means both question mark and quick menu as well..lol

• 3 months later...
  • Staff

Hi Tony - thanks for this suggestion, we have now added this option in the beta of version 2.1. It would be great if you wanted to try it out in the beta and let us know what you think - you can sign up to the beta program here.

Managing Director

Help make our apps better by joining our beta program!

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021) / Apple M1 Max / 64GB / macOS 12.0.1

iPad Pro 11-inch 3rd Gen / iPadOS 16.2

Three immediate thoughts.

1.  I REALLY LIKE DOUBLE TAPPING TO ACTIVATE THIS MENU!! It feels incredible! Such a natural and easy to learn gesture! 

2.  Found a bug. If you double tap the pencil to bring up the menu, then double tap again, it will keep opening new instances of the menu on top of itself. Then you have to dismiss each one manually.  It should probably toggle between opening and closing the menu with each successive double tap.

3. This is off-scope but still kind of on-topic since were talking about pencil double tap. I noticed the dropdown menu for double tap functions includes the move tool, previous tool, undo, zoom and quick menu. Could you add all of the tools to this dropdown (Notably the pen and node tools)? This would let you set specific tool combination toggles and not have to rely on the "previous tool" function.  I use the desktop app this way, setting both node and pen tools to the F key shortcut on my keyboard, when drawing i constantly switch between these 2 tools, and all i have to do is tap the F key to toggle between them. It would be great to be able to "lock" two tools together on a double tap in case you have a combination you use often. 

Edit*

I have a fourth thought, haha. It might be a good idea to add a toggle to the settings to "Quick Menu on Double Tap for All Tools" - which would gray out the individual tool double-tap selectors and allow the double-tap gesture to invoke the menu by default on all tools. Some people might want to do this and setting it per-tool in the settings menu would be time consuming. 

Double tapping has a ton of potential when you really sit down and start listing out ideas, haha!
Thanks guys! 

Art director by day, illustrator by night: Check Out My Shutterstock Gallery