You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Photo 2 installation directory??

I use RawTherapee (5.8) to edit my RAW files. I used the following address in RT's "preferences" to ID the location of my photo editing app, Affinity Photo 2, and successfully mapped the "send to photo editor" button in RT to Affinity Photo 2:

C:\Users\XXX\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps\AffinityPhoto2.exe

(Where "XXX" is your personal user handle.)

You may have better luck with this (I did not try this, because the above address worked for me):

C:\Users\XXX\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps\SerifEuropeLtd.AffinityPhoto2_3cqzy0nppv2rt\AffinityPhoto2.exe

A search of your own computer (for "AffinityPhoto2.exe" or "*photo*.exe") will locate the executable on your computer. In the search window, right click on the file and select "show in folder". Then copy and paste the folder's address into the preferences of whatever app you're setting up, and add "\AffinityPhoto2.exe" to the address. Save your preferences.

It looks like this SHOULD work!  But for some reason MS won't let me add the program to Faststone.  If I double click it in Explorer, AF2 opens so that shows the link is functional.  I have stepped down through the path with the dialog to identify the file, and have pasted in the full path plus file name but get the same error.

image.png.49315c450fbc8bc18dd02997c96407e2.png

33 minutes ago, Ken Nelson said:

It looks like this SHOULD work!  But for some reason MS won't let me add the program to Faststone.  If I double click it in Explorer, AF2 opens so that shows the link is functional.  I have stepped down through the path with the dialog to identify the file, and have pasted in the full path plus file name but get the same error.

image.png.49315c450fbc8bc18dd02997c96407e2.png

A great deal of this which many users have experienced has to do with folder 'permissions' within Win10/11. You need to grant yourself access to the installation directory/folder. MSoft in their wisdom decided at some stage to start locking down access - all to do with security plus they didn't expect us mere mortals to be able to protect our own systems.

There's stacks of information available on the internet as to how to work round this so I won't repeat them here. Of course once Affinity/Serif release a regular msi or exe install then folks shouldn't experience this problem.

22 minutes ago, Ken Nelson said:

My ID is listed as Owner, and permissions are the same as SYSTEM and Administrators.

The quick 'nasty way' round this is to add 'everyone' to the permissions but you may be opening up a whole can of worms. Personally I'm not prepared to go down that route and I'll wait until the msi or exe comes along.

Screenshot 2022-12-08 120946.jpg

@Ken Nelson: I suggest installing the aflaunch.exe program, and pointing to that instead. Please see the second post in this FAQ: 

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, Ken Nelson said:

Thanks Walt.  (Are you Walt from POK?  Long time!)

You're welcome. And yes! Retired about 11 years ago and moved back to Michigan :)   Good to hear from you again.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

• 4 weeks later...

I've had the same issue trying to have a specific profile for Photo with the Huion tablet driver. I couldn't find the executable and trying to follow the recommendation on this post about selecting it from the %AppData% doesn't work. Fortunately Huion had already an answer. It appears Affinity have moved to a UWP, that is a universal Windows platform (yes, technically you can run Affinity on an X-Box or ARM based machine). So instead what you'll need is add it from the "Windows Programs" which is found in the C:\Program Files\. The folder is hidden and when you make it show in explorer you might not be able to access it, you'll need to add yourself as an owner to the folder and from there on you can select the cryptic folder name and eventually the actual executable file for photos, designer or publisher.

Here is the original link (Note, those of you on Win 11 will notice a slight difference to the workflow, don't bother with it, the instructions remain the same): https://support.huion.com/en/support/solutions/articles/44002288046-how-to-set-different-shortcuts-keys-for-uwp-software-on-huion-driver

Cheers

• 5 months later...

So we must break our file system security to access the folder? 

You guys pick the hardest installer to work with.

From what I read in the forum on why you use the new installer and such, it makes your sense, but not mine. 

I used to recommend everyone about the app as it's clear-cut not to pay for a subscription. 

You just lose me as a customer. And if anyone ask, I'll just tell them it's too much of a hassle, don't try it.

Edited by tuangd

54 minutes ago, tuangd said:

So we must break our file system security to access the folder? 

From what I read in the forum on why you use the new installer and such, it makes your sense, but not mine. 

I used to recommend everyone about the app as it's clear-cut not to pay for a subscription. 

You just lose me as a customer. And if anyone ask, I'll just tell them it's too much of a hassle, don't try it.

The older form of installer is also available. If you have already installed using the MSIX installer, you should first uninstall that one, then install the other one.

-- Walt
PC:

2 hours ago, tuangd said:

They picked the one that Microsoft recommends for new installations, in part because being sandboxed according to MS it offers better security.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/26/2023 at 9:08 PM, walt.farrell said:

The older form of installer is also available. If you have already installed using the MSIX installer, you should first uninstall that one, then install the other one.

Thank you for the information. I'll use the exe installers. 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 9/28/2023 at 8:46 AM, Love Adeola said:

Screenshot(476).thumb.png.ad558e168ac50a10eeedc096e20795f3.png1. Run the app

2. Open the task manager by pressing Ctrl + Shift + Esc

3. Open the dropdown menu for Affinity Photo 2

4. Right-click on the Affinity Photo 2 list item

5. Click open file location and you'll be taken to the real directory

Thank you so much, your solution is working and taught me something new!

All the best

On 11/9/2022 at 9:27 AM, Hans De Smaele said:

It doesn't work ! The system says there is no access to that file (from within LightRoom) :-(.

If you delete the application part in the directory bar (E.g. the "\adobelightroom.exe" part) delete that part and then press enter and look for the application file, if you can not find it then you do not have it installed onto your computer, And make sure your doing this on windows, not macos or linux I'll attach a example photo belowimage.thumb.png.9c5d6f8a311b47a02dd1fc7924c9c982.png