You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

why can't I turn off Guides?

While trying to debug a printing problem, I turned on Guides and set them up the way I needed.  Now I can't get rid of them. 

View/Show Guides doesn't do anything.  Neither does Guides Manager/Remove All Guides (although I can still  change the properties of the guides).   Restarted AP, they're still there, when I load the same project.   The Guides seem to have become baked into the project.  

I cannot duplicate that on my Mac -- view/show & remove all work normally for me. It might help is figure out what's happening if you can post a simplified version of your AP file, one with everything removed except the guides....

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Good idea - here it is.

I deleted everything but the background layer, made sure "Guides" was unchecked, saved, re-opened, and the guides were still there.

I'm thinking this will turn out to be a case where AP just does things differently from other programs, and my assumptions for how "guides" should behave are wrong.

guides.afphoto

9 minutes ago, jimh12345 said:

Good idea - here it is.

I deleted everything but the background layer, made sure "Guides" was unchecked, saved, re-opened, and the guides were still there.

I'm thinking this will turn out to be a case where AP just does things differently from other programs, and my assumptions for how "guides" should behave are wrong.

guides.afphoto

For me, guides are the thin blue lines that one can move around.

Not sure what you have got there.

website

Mac mini (2018)  3.2 GHz Intel Core i7  64 GB • Radeon Pro 580 8 GB • macOS Monterey

1 minute ago, TomM1 said:

For me, guides are the thin blue lines that one can move around.

Not sure what you have got there.

Same for me -- there are no guides listed in the Guides Manager so whatever that blue & white pattern is from it is not related to any guides because there are none,

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

9 minutes ago, jimh12345 said:

Yes, apparently those "Guides" aren't affected by View/Show Guides,  and the settings for Column Guides are part of the project.  A bit weird, as two more-or-less unrelated "Guides" are managed by the same dialog.

As I recall, there's a known problem in Photo on Windows where the View > Show Column Guides option is not present. I think it's present on Mac, and it's present on Windows in Publisher and Designer.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 minute ago, walt.farrell said:

As I recall, there's a known problem on Windows where the View > Show Column Guides option is not present. I think it's present on Mac, and it's present on Windows in Publisher and Designer.

Indeed. Unchecking Show Column Guides removes them. (Mac)

website

Mac mini (2018)  3.2 GHz Intel Core i7  64 GB • Radeon Pro 580 8 GB • macOS Monterey

4 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

As I recall, there's a known problem in Photo on Windows where the View > Show Column Guides option is not present. I think it's present on Mac, and it's present on Windows in Publisher and Designer.

So as a clumsy workaround, if a Windows user has either APub or AD, they can open the file in one of them, hide the column guides, & then switch back to AP?

Affinity Photo 

2 hours ago, R C-R said:

So as a clumsy workaround, if a Windows user has either APub or AD, they can open the file in one of them, hide the column guides, & then switch back to AP?

They could, if they didn't simply want to set the number of columns/rows to 1 in the Guides Manager.

Of course, to show them again, they'd have to use the same workaround.

34 minutes ago, jimh12345 said:

Isn't a new release rumored to be coming soon?

Yes, possibly tomorrow.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

2 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

They could, if they didn't simply want to set the number of columns/rows to 1 in the Guides Manager.

Sure, but I was thinking about not doing anything that would actually affect the layout destructively -- IOW, just hide the column guides.

Affinity Photo