You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I'd like to create a star similar to the star, Sirius. I followed along a youtube video on how to create Lens Flare in AP and then I applied what I learned to make it more star-like. I feel like I'm sort of getting there as far as what I want it to look like. But I don't have the experience yet to get this to look more realistic and am hoping the community can provide any other tips or tricks / short video on how I can get this looking more like the star, Sirius. 

My end goal is to have be able to export this for use on a website and a Figma project I'm working on. I'd also like to place the star on different backgrounds while maintaining the super hot white center (that I haven't mastered yet).

I feel like I'm almost there but I can't seem to tweak this enough to make it more realistic and I feel like the cross part is missing glow but I can't seem to get inner or outer glow to work (or I'm just not doing it right).  

Thank you for taking a look and for any tips!  I'm working on Macbook Pro. 

The first two screenshots are my work in AP. The 3rd screenshot, purple background, is what I would like to recreate and is my end goal. 

Screen Shot 2022-11-01 at 11.17.00 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-11-01 at 11.18.05 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-11-01 at 11.28.52 AM.png

Edited by santiagodigitaldesign
Noting I am working on a Macbook Pro

Download these Star brushes, they work in Affinity

https://www.deviantart.com/demosthenesvoice/art/Star-Brushes-97311837

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

10 hours ago, santiagodigitaldesign said:

make it more realistic and I feel like the cross part is missing glow but I can't seem to get inner or outer glow to work (or I'm just not doing it right).  

Realistic? Aren't these always rather 'models' of ideas, even if created by physical lens filters? – If outer glow doesn't work you should tell more details about the problems. In your two images I miss the 'star' impression of the third image. Have you tried the various shape tools in Affinity? For instance …

stars.thumb.jpg.e182c54d31e12862f444bc3ae1237f3c.jpg

Additionally a radial transparency gradient will help to influence the brightness circular.
Also a combination of 2-3 objects may achieve what you have in mind, and possibly a slightly reduced layer opacity.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

12 hours ago, thomaso said:

Realistic? Aren't these always rather 'models' of ideas, even if created by physical lens filters? – If outer glow doesn't work you should tell more details about the problems. In your two images I miss the 'star' impression of the third image. Have you tried the various shape tools in Affinity?

Hi, I don't know the answer to your question as I'm very new to Affinity but yes I used the star shape, polygon and the square shape as well as 2 ellipse hoping something star-like would come out. I appreciate the tips on the glow factor I'll have to try this thank you! 

@santiagodigitaldesign The attached Assets file contains two 4 point stars, (one as a vector object the other is a rasterised version which can can have Noise more easily added to it if needed to help blend it into a pixel background), for you to use and or dissect as you wish and will hopefully give you some ideas for making your own.
With things like this I find the “trick” is to use multiple layered elements to buildup the object. And to take carful note of the overall colours within the background image and adjust the new star’s colours accordingly.
4 Point Star.afassets

317944668_4PointStar.png.8a9f54daa443b815843acbc84a869d49.png

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

2 hours ago, markw said:

@santiagodigitaldesign The attached Assets file contains two 4 point stars, (one as a vector object the other is a rasterised version which can can have Noise more easily added to it if needed to help blend it into a pixel background), for you to use and or dissect as you wish and will hopefully give you some ideas for making your own.
With things like this I find the “trick” is to use multiple layered elements to buildup the object. And to take carful note of the overall colours within the background image and adjust the new star’s colours accordingly.
4 Point Star.afassets

This is absolutely beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing this so I can see the layers you created as well as the gradient - I would have never thought to add 4 gradient points. I was creating 2 different crosses and laid one over the other. I really can't thank you enough it definitely helps me get a better understanding. 

Thank you!!