You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Recent frequent crashes (probably *not* Windows-update-related)

My Publisher (latest version) crashes when deleting pages from a document and creating a new document while aforementioned document is open.

That must have started in the last 24 hours or so. 

I deleted the Windows update everyone is talking about, so it should be something else.

Yogabook S730-13IWL

Windows Build

Possible Smoking Gun:

So far, it has only happened when handling different versions of one specific project which I'm attaching (modified to not contain some – more or less – NDA type information, but the bug still works and I made sure I kept the layer structure intact in at least a few pages)

TEST.afpub

Hey,

I uninstalled the update just 45 minutes ago.

I had decided to keep it because the much talked-about font list bug  didn't annoy me all that much.

I think the one I uninstalled was KB5018410 (now advertised to me as 'pending') which I first installed on October 12.

• Staff

Hi @Bonteburg,

Thanks for your report and file provided!

I've downloaded and opened this document here, when creating a new document with this file open, or deleting pages from the document - I do not experience the same crash as yourself.

Are you deleting specific pages when this crash occurs please?

I'd like to request a copy of your crash reports, please open Windows Run (Windows Key + R) then paste the following string and press OK:

%APPDATA%\Affinity\Publisher\1.0\CrashReports\reports

In the window that opens, please select the 3 most recently created .DMP files, then attach these to your reply here.

Alongside this, I'd also like a copy of your Event Viewer log, as this should contain further information as to the cause of the crash.

To generate this please do the following:

1. Open Windows Run (Windows Key + R) and type the following - eventvwr
2. In the window that opens, select the Windows Logs drop-down list on the left and then Applications
3. With the Applications logs selected, navigate to the right side of the window and select Save All Events As... and save them as .evtx (the default option).
4. Attach this saved file to your reply here.  

Many thanks in advance!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

7 minutes ago, Bonteburg said:

(BTW.: the font bug didn't disappear as I'd previously said)

If the font bug didn't disappear you still have a malfunctioning .net update somewhere

That update is also known to cause other crashes so it's best you track it down and resolve it

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

I'm back with the reports.

The bug hasn't happened in other documents over the last few hours, so that's cool! :D

No, I didn't do anything very specific that I know of. I deleted some pages at random deliberately to try and see if it crashed my document (it did).

f2e54502-77c3-4911-8fbe-28ed3fd1ff66.dmp b2186052-49a2-4fbc-b8dc-244fa70c5ea8.dmp edea9e54-9445-4e6e-8a9f-1a1cd0f8231c.dmp

• Staff

Thanks for providing these for me!

2 of the crash reports are occuring in 'PresentationFramework.ni.dll' - which is the known WPF crash occurring since the latest Windows updates, so I'd recommend double checking all update numbers listed in the above FAQ have been uninstalled, and as an option this FAQ now includes a workaround which isn't officially supported - but seems to resolve the crashing issue for most users.

The third crash report is related to 'libraster.dll', which can arise when Affinity is accessing the GPU drivers. I'd recommend installing the latest drivers available for your GPU, directly from the manufacturers website. You can also try unticking Hardware Acceleration (found under Edit > Preferences > Performance) as this can also occasionally cause crashing with GPU drivers.

I hope this helps :) 

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Thanks! That's what I figured as the last crash report was after uninstalling the update.

My hardware acceleration has been unticked for close to a year (because I ran into said performance issues). Do you think it would still make a difference to get the latest drivers? Is Affinity Publisher accessing the GPU at all with the option unticked? Would increasing the RAM useage be a good thing to do?

This post is getting kind of close to general advice so I'll leave it at that.

• Staff

No problem at all, thanks for letting me know :)

18 hours ago, Bonteburg said:

Do you think it would still make a difference to get the latest drivers? Is Affinity Publisher accessing the GPU at all with the option unticked?

Yes, and yes - even with Hardware Acceleration disabled the Affinity app will still access your GPU, and having the latest drivers is important to ensure this happens as smoothly as possible!

18 hours ago, Bonteburg said:

Would increasing the RAM useage be a good thing to do?

If the RAM usage is set below the max level of RAM on you system then it may be worth increasing this value - however I would not recommend setting the RAM usage above the maximum amount of RAM on your system, I hope this clears things up!

Please note -

Many thanks!

The second, non-update bug where the program quits on opening another file keeps occuring in a similar situation with two new documents.

I tried updating my graphics card but it said I already have the latest version, so no room for improvement there.
(Intel (R) UHD Graphics 620)

I also tried a thing called "WARP" in the graphic card options. Does anyone have an idea what that is?

I also increased the RAM useage from a bit over 8.000 to 14.000 MB (I can use up to 15.8, my official specs are 16) to give Publisher a bit more to work with.

I then tried the lowest quality "retina rendering" setting.

None of these tactics, alone or collectively, seemed to help my issue.

Something, from feeling out possible scenarios, seems to point to a number of PDF backgrounds present in both documents I used as guides, amounting to a total of 30 A4 pages or so. When I deleted those, the whole thing started to feel much smoother with no crash occuring the last time. Nested PDFs are a popular source of weird problems. I'm going to test if png images instead of pdf might be a more elegant solution here.

I've attached a few more reports.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure it is not about the linked PDFs, as the crash reappeared just now with no such stuff involved.

06db2593-04b1-442d-bb2f-bf3dc3a10fe9.dmp f0676a48-4c5b-4c76-a068-0dc9ca349406.dmp 0a9152fd-bc05-4185-9d83-76f77ca29846.dmp

• Staff

Hi @JosueVivas,

Apologies for the delayed response here and thanks for your log provided!

I can confirm that the crashes are occuring in your app due to the Windows .NET update. Please see the below FAQ for more information and steps on how to remove this -

____________________________________________________________________________________________

1 hour ago, Bonteburg said:

I tried updating my graphics card but it said I already have the latest version, so no room for improvement there.
(Intel (R) UHD Graphics 620)

I also tried a thing called "WARP" in the graphic card options. Does anyone have an idea what that is?

Thanks for confirming that for me - 'WARP' forces all rendering within the app to be done in software (ie by your CPU, rather than by your GPU) - this option can resolve outlier graphical crashing issues, but may also increase the rendering time of documents within the app.

From the crash reports provided, all 3 of these are crashing within 'PresentationFramework.ni.dll' once again - as above this it the known WPF crash occurring since the latest Windows updates, so it appears as though one of these updates are still installed on your system.

Can you please open Windows Settings > Updates & Security > View Update History and provide a screenshot of this dialog here for me? :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

Thanks!

If uninstalling that update helps the situation that would be awesome as I had given up on the update as the reason.

Here are the sections of my update history that struck me as comparatively recent and contained updates with ".net". in scrolling order.

updadtes_003.afphoto updates_001.afphoto updates_002.afphoto updates_004.afphoto

• Staff

No problem at all, thanks for providing these - interestingly I too cannot see any of the listed .NET updates that we're aware are causing these issues, but it's possible this is already installed under a different 'KB' number that is not shown here.

Can you please open Control Panel > Programs > View Installed Updates and provide a screenshot of this dialog for me? :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

• Staff
5 minutes ago, Bonteburg said:

I'm assuming it could be KB5017262

Yes, that's one of the known updates causing crashing - please try uninstalling this update from this dialog, then restart your PC and try using Affinity once again. 

You should hopefully find this resolves the random application crashes for you :D

Please note -

Many thanks!

Nope 😳

Here are three crash reports.

This is triggering my sleuth instinct...

Could KB2565063 also be a problem?
I'm asking because it's on the list twice, which seems odd.

I also checked for the font list bug and it also is still present.

72f63242-2700-4f36-82ea-74e51b967d1a.dmp 6d57887b-f686-42a9-9d4c-c2167e690397.dmp f07edd7a-40f6-4405-8e3a-4400f7e228d6.dmp

Rigth, it is working so far. 

I uninstalled all the affinty apps (designer and publisher) and uninstalled every single update windows allowed me to do. To then reinstall Publisher.

Now, everything is working just fine. 😀

Note: from the recommended list of updates to unistall, I was able to uninstall just one. I guess I'm leaving my system with a "Partial roll back" as some of the windows update recommened to uninstall come with Windows 11 22H2. 😕

Also! I paused Windows updates for a month whislt I finish the book!

9 minutes ago, Bonteburg said:

I uninstalled both copies (?) of KB2565063  and still crashing.... 

Do you know exactly which ones you uninstalled @JosueVivas?

Everything.

I uninstalled every single update, that involved several restarts. In short I left the laptop with barebones Windows 11 22H2: no more updates on top of that.

WTF. It just uninstalled KB5017262 and the "new document bug" as well as the font bug are gone.

It almost seems as if Windows slyly reinstalled that one because I am super sure I uninstalled it a few hours ago, with restart and all.

I now put updates on hold for 7 days...

Going to keep an eye on Win 11 too and see what stories people tell.

1 minute ago, Bonteburg said:

WTF. It just uninstalled KB5017262 and the crashing, as well as the font bug are gone.

It almost seems as if Windows slyly reinstalled that one because I am super sure I uninstalled it a few hours ago, with restart and all.

I now put updates on hold for 7 days...

Going to keep an eye on Win 11 too and see what stories people tell.

Four Explosive Advancements for Future Fireworks | Smart News| Smithsonian  Magazine