You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

affinity Designer for ipad keeps crashing

hFA

Dear Affinity team,

Please help and follow up on this one. I beg you. My previous questions have remained unanswered, bugs unfixed. And now I cannot use your software anymore as is.

Since the new software update from apple, Affinity designer has more problems than ever before. Previous major issues have not been fixed and the new ones are:

1. the program crashes the whole time, of course without saving the work. Let's call this the major issue.

2. Brushes are constantly interrupted (which makes it especially hard to draw in vector)

3. copying a brush duplicates them several times.

iPad Pro (11-inch) from 2018 (Model number MTXQ2NF/A)
IpadOS 15.7
Affinity Designer version 1.10.5

Yes I have imported brushes. The ones offered for free by you and some True Grid Texture Supply purchased via their website.

No I have no problems with my apple pencil in other programs

and the software crashes are at any moment (f.e. when I try to copy my work to paste in a fresh document to prevent the document to become to large or just when I finished I nice pixel stroke. No visible pattern)

Thank you in advance.

Frederiek

• Staff

Hi @hFA,

Can you first try a forced restart of your iPas as outlined on this FAQ and then try your same workflow again and see if you get crash.

Ideally we really need a set of steps to follow that always result in a crash for you, as that gives us a set of action we can try to replicate.

25 minutes ago, stokerg said:

Hi @hFA,

Can you first try a forced restart of your iPas as outlined on this FAQ and then try your same workflow again and see if you get crash.

Ideally we really need a set of steps to follow that always result in a crash for you, as that gives us a set of action we can try to replicate.

Hi @stokerg, thank you. I just did. After that I rearranged a few layers in the document to copy them so that I can paste them in a fresh document (it has been may way to avoid corrupting layers by brush strokes. see previous posts) only when I click copy the app crashes just like before the restart. A while back it crashed after finishing a pixel shader brush session.

I understand what you want, the problem is that it happens quite often and not at a specific queue. I try to keep duplicates, I often work in different documents for the same work, but errors keep happening. I think we are way beyond a simple trouble shoot and replicating errors. The last problem you could replicate has never been solved.

I don't understand why you abandon your software to make a new version. Why would we want to buy a new version when the old version hasn't worked properly for over a year? Who is to say that won't happen again with version two?

What settings can I change to keep the cash manageable? What is the maximum size of a document for the software not to fall apart? Could you build in a warning? How do we deal with this? If you are creatives, you must realise how frustrating this is, to say the least.

• Staff

Hi @hFA,

I fully understand how frustrating issues like these are.  Sadly that doesn't help resolve the issue :( 

With any issues, if you can provide a problem file as a lot issues are file based and the workflow you take with that file we can try to replicate it.  Screen recordings always help but i understand with this kind of issue, it's hard to screen record.

One thing, when you leave Affinity, do you fully close the app or leave it running in the background?  Sadly the iPad crash reports don't really tell us anything helpful at all.  However, please do attach one, see this post to find them.  Just attach the latest one and i'll see if it helps, but in my past experience they don't tell us anything useful.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/10/2022 at 10:17 AM, hFA said:

Dear Affinity team,

Please help and follow up on this one. I beg you. My previous questions have remained unanswered, bugs unfixed. And now I cannot use your software anymore as is.

Since the new software update from apple, Affinity designer has more problems than ever before. Previous major issues have not been fixed and the new ones are:

1. the program crashes the whole time, of course without saving the work. Let's call this the major issue.

2. Brushes are constantly interrupted (which makes it especially hard to draw in vector)

3. copying a brush duplicates them several times.

iPad Pro (11-inch) from 2018 (Model number MTXQ2NF/A)
IpadOS 15.7
Affinity Designer version 1.10.5

Yes I have imported brushes. The ones offered for free by you and some True Grid Texture Supply purchased via their website.

No I have no problems with my apple pencil in other programs

and the software crashes are at any moment (f.e. when I try to copy my work to paste in a fresh document to prevent the document to become to large or just when I finished I nice pixel stroke. No visible pattern)

Thank you in advance.

Frederiek

There may be something wrong with your iPad configuration, steps to try (1)

1. Forced Restart (note this is not just powering off and on) - You mention above you did a Forced Restart already so if that did not work try (2)

2. Save all your work outside of the app in a folder that you have created and moved your files to. The reason to do this is you need to delete the app and re-install it, the action of doing it will delete any work in the apps sandbox and any file in the OnMyiPad/Affinity Photo folder so you need to name each file, save it then move all your files into a folder you create separate from the Affinity Photo folders. If this did not work try (3)

3. Backup your device to iCloud or a Mac or a PC, erase your device then restore it from backup.

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/10/2022 at 9:16 PM, stokerg said:

Hi @hFA,

I fully understand how frustrating issues like these are.  Sadly that doesn't help resolve the issue :( 

With any issues, if you can provide a problem file as a lot issues are file based and the workflow you take with that file we can try to replicate it.  Screen recordings always help but i understand with this kind of issue, it's hard to screen record.

One thing, when you leave Affinity, do you fully close the app or leave it running in the background?  Sadly the iPad crash reports don't really tell us anything helpful at all.  However, please do attach one, see this post to find them.  Just attach the latest one and i'll see if it helps, but in my past experience they don't tell us anything useful.

Hi @stokerg
So sorry it has been a while since you replied. Thank you so much! I have since then started to give my ipad "breaks" and close the app in between sessions. It worked perfectly and the crashes stopped. Also I have played with document sizes. I am still working in different documents for one artwork and when I "paint" I use many layers as to avoid corrupting 1 brush layer and loosing my work. Only pity is that when merging layers in a later stage, brushes tend to get slightly blurred...

Anyway. Thank you again! and congrats on the new launch! I am so excited for the new version!
Best,

Frederiek

On 11/1/2022 at 8:18 AM, Paul Mudditt said:

There may be something wrong with your iPad configuration, steps to try (1)

1. Forced Restart (note this is not just powering off and on) - You mention above you did a Forced Restart already so if that did not work try (2)

2. Save all your work outside of the app in a folder that you have created and moved your files to. The reason to do this is you need to delete the app and re-install it, the action of doing it will delete any work in the apps sandbox and any file in the OnMyiPad/Affinity Photo folder so you need to name each file, save it then move all your files into a folder you create separate from the Affinity Photo folders. If this did not work try (3)

3. Backup your device to iCloud or a Mac or a PC, erase your device then restore it from backup.

Hi @Paul Mudditt Thank you for your reply! These are some great tips. I did reinstall the apps before I went on the forum, and I have lost all work I did before that. On that subject I wonder if I should do the same if I want to install Affinity 2.0 apps...
Anyway, thanks again!

Best,

Frederiek

4 hours ago, hFA said:

Hi @Paul Mudditt Thank you for your reply! These are some great tips. I did reinstall the apps before I went on the forum, and I have lost all work I did before that. On that subject I wonder if I should do the same if I want to install Affinity 2.0 apps...
Anyway, thanks again!

Best,

Frederiek

No you can install V2 without removing V1.

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help