You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Issues with opening .afdesign files

3 hours ago, Geeth said:

I’m not able to open the .afdesign files created in desktop version on ipad pro.

What specifically are you doing when trying to open one of the files on your iPad? You do have the iPad version of Affinity Designer or Photo installed on your iPad, right?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

12 hours ago, R C-R said:

What specifically are you doing when trying to open one of the files on your iPad? You do have the iPad version of Affinity Designer or Photo installed on your iPad, right?

Thanks R C-R for replying. I created these files in Affinity Designer desktop trial version(expired now) & exported them as .afdesign, .eps, .svg files. I have both Affinity Designer & Photo installed on my iPad. When I tried to open these files only .svg files were opening in Affinity Designer ipad. However I'm not able to edit it as its behaving like an image. The vector layers are not visible. I have attached the screenshot from Ipad.

FB9CD931-D5B5-42C8-961C-4D253F4735D4.jpeg

3 hours ago, Geeth said:

... exported them as .afdesign, .eps, .svg files.

Where did you export these files to? Was it to iCloud or something else?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

16 hours ago, R C-R said:

14 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Where did you export these files to? Was it to iCloud or something else?

Exported them to Local drive .. later uploaded them to Google drive to be able to access them from iPad

• Staff

@Geeth .afdesign files should be opening as it's our native file format, try moving the files from Google Drive as we've had issues previously with files not being recognised or corrupted. Depending on how the file was created, some elements may not be supported by the .SVG format and have to be rasterised on export.

42 minutes ago, Lee D said:

,... try moving the files from Google Drive as we've had issues previously with files not being recognised or corrupted.

Where do you suggest moving them to so that the iPad version can access them, if not iCloud?

Affinity Photo 

30 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Where do you suggest moving them to so that the iPad version can access them, if not iCloud?

He didn't say not to use iCloud; he suggested not using Google Drive.

But they could be copied from Google Drive to iCloud, or to local storage on the iPad, probably.

6 hours ago, Geeth said:

When I tried to open these files only .svg files were opening in Affinity Designer ipad.

What did happen when you tried to open the .afdesign files?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

19 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

But they could be copied from Google Drive to iCloud, or to local storage on the iPad, probably.

I am not sure there is any reliable way to copy to local iPad storage other than through iCloud, which is why I asked if there was any suggestion other than moving them into iCloud.

Affinity Photo 

2 minutes ago, R C-R said:

I am not sure there is any reliable way to copy to local iPad storage other than through iCloud, which is why I asked if there was any suggestion other than moving them into iCloud.

I've never known any way of moving/copying them to local storage to be unreliable. But you probably have more iPad experience than I have.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

1 minute ago, walt.farrell said:

I've never known any way of moving/copying them to local storage to be unreliable.

What ways have you tried moving/copying files to local iPad storage? Early on, I tried using Google Drive but it kept mangling files so I never tried using it after that. But I do not currently use any other cloud service besides iCloud Drive, so I do not know if there are other cloud services that work better, or if there is some other way to move files into local iPad storage that does not involve some cloud service.

Affinity Photo 

I think I've tried Google Drive. I've also copied via my local network.

-- Walt
PC:

How specifically do you copy files onto the iPad via your local network? On my iPad, the Files app only gives me choices for iCloud Drive & files already on my iPad, so unlike Finder on my Mac, I cannot just copy files from the Finder to the iPad directly.

What am I missing?

Affinity Photo 

2 hours ago, Lee D said:

@Geeth .afdesign files should be opening as it's our native file format, try moving the files from Google Drive as we've had issues previously with files not being recognised or corrupted. Depending on how the file was created, some elements may not be supported by the .SVG format and have to be rasterised on export.

I mailed the files & downloaded them in ipad. It worked. Now I’m able to open & edit .afdesign files in designer. I was really worried that I have to redo everything. You saved my day!! Thanks a lot Lee D !!