You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Fractions in Affinity Publisher do not show up when exported to a pdf

hiroto

It works for me, using your files and a copy of the formata regular font that I found at https://www.wfonts.com/font/formata. Perhaps your copy of the font has a problem? Where did you get it, and which version are you using?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I use formata font from Adobe some years ago. I noted how you created ½ using the character palate in Publisher. That option isn't available with my formata. I checked further. Adobe fonts I purchased some years don't seem to work in Publisher for creating fractions that export to pdf documents. Some MT fonts I purchased same time period do work.

Is my formata faulty? I checked with Word. Fractions I create in Word using formata do get saved as fractions in pdf. Further I never had issues with fractions when using InDesign,

So it seems clear that Affinity Publisher is more selective in the fonts that will work for creating fractions using the character palette. 

Screen Shot 2022-08-25 at 6.25.42 PM.png

22222 formata word.png

22222 formata pdf.png

12 hours ago, hiroto said:

I noted how you created ½ using the character palate in Publisher. That option isn't available with my formata.

No, I did not use the character panel. What you see in my screenshot is your document, without any change done by me. My screenshot rather shows (like yours) that you seem to have achieved your fractions without using the character panel.

That is why I asked you: How did you type the fractions in your document?

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

11 hours ago, LibreTraining said:

Old Type 1 conversion fonts usually have the old legacy ½ character (U+00BD). So that should work.

Have to see the fonts to really figure-out what is happening.

On my phone at the moment, but I can check your docs tomorrow. 

Even with my version of formata, Publisher is capable of creating the fraction in the document, it prints out the fraction successfully, but fails to print out the fraction in a pdf. So it seems the issue is isolated to pdfs.

11 hours ago, LibreTraining said:
12 hours ago, LibreTraining said:

36 minutes ago, thomaso said:

No, I did not use the character panel. What you see in my screenshot is your document, without any change done by me. My screenshot rather shows (like yours) that you seem to have achieved your fractions without using the character panel.

That is why I asked you: How did you type the fractions in your document?

I created the fraction by typing •1/2• and computer converted to ½  I did not use the special symbol fraction.

2 hours ago, hiroto said:

I created the fraction by typing •1/2• and computer converted to ½  I did not use the special symbol fraction.

Auto-Correct changes the 1/2 to ½ (U+00BD) while you type.

All of the versions of these fonts that I have found are broken, but in different ways. Some of the problem may be the fonts. Some of it may be the wacko way Affinity handles style-linking (wrong).

Because of the name issues inside the fonts, and the Affinity issues, the PDF library may be confused so it displays nothing.
I did not have any problems printing the fraction from your doc, with either just the Regular installed or all of the fonts installed. Walt and I are both on Windows, so the Mac/Affinity way of handling the fonts may be the problem.

I do not have the Adopey commercial version of these fonts (that you have), but if the style groups are set-up the same way as the ones I have found, that may be the issue (the Medium fonts are the "Bold" in the Regular style group). I can check the fonts if you send me a .zip file link via PM.

You may be able to work around the issue by only having the Regular installed.

1 hour ago, LibreTraining said:

Auto-Correct changes the 1/2 to ½ (U+00BD) while you type.

All of the versions of these fonts that I have found are broken, but in different ways. Some of the problem may be the fonts. Some of it may be the wacko way Affinity handles style-linking (wrong).

Because of the name issues inside the fonts, and the Affinity issues, the PDF library may be confused so it displays nothing.
I did not have any problems printing the fraction from your doc, with either just the Regular installed or all of the fonts installed. Walt and I are both on Windows, so the Mac/Affinity way of handling the fonts may be the problem.

I do not have the Adopey commercial version of these fonts (that you have), but if the style groups are set-up the same way as the ones I have found, that may be the issue (the Medium fonts are the "Bold" in the Regular style group). I can check the fonts if you send me a .zip file link via PM.

You may be able to work around the issue by only having the Regular installed.

Thank you for your comments on the font issue. For me, the easier path is leaving the fonts as is. Since printing works, all I have to worry about with fractions are pdfs. If I worked with fractions on a daily basis, I'd have to explore more thoroughly why Affinity, my fonts and pdfs are not working when it comes to fractions. As I mentioned previously, I have no issues with fractions using apps other than Affinity to create pdfs.