You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Bulk resize images to max-width or max-height (only resize larger images)

Hi there,

I am looking for an application that allows me to bulk-resize images to a max-width. I noticed most apps I tested can bulk-resize images, however this is problematic if then a smaller image gets upscaled (which should definitely not happen).

I thought Affinity Photo for sure can do that, but I am not successful yet. I only noticed that there are lengthy discussions about this topic (years ago) and people who worked a lot to create macros. Macros I don't know what they are all doing, and if it still works well.

Is there still no solution for that in Affinity Photo?

The only way I found that offers a GUI is https://optimage.app/ to do that. 

However, as I purchased Affinity already, I would prefer to do it with Affinity Photo.

Any update and information on that?

Markus

Try this

New Batch Job

In the W box put
min(w,XXX)
where XXX is the width limit in pixels

In the H box put
min(h,YYY)
where YYY is the height limit

Keep the A box ticked
Untick Parallel processing

Microsoft Windows 11 Home, Intel i7-1360P 2.20 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Intel Iris Xe
Affinity Photo - 24/05/20, Affinity Publisher - 06/12/20, KTM Superduke - 27/09/10

Thanks a lot! I didn't find it the most intuitive way, it's also not possible to just drag and drop images into the source. However, it does work. 

What's the reason for unticking parallel processing and ticking A box? If I understand, I probably can memorize better

5 minutes ago, markus985 said:

What's the reason for unticking parallel processing and ticking A box? If I understand, I probably can memorize better

"A box" is for the Aspect Ratio. Keeps the pictures from being stretched or squashed in either Height or Width.

The Parallel processing ... I don't know. 

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

1 hour ago, Old Bruce said:

The Parallel processing ... I don't know. 

Having Parallel Processing enabled in the Batch Job dialog causes issues for some users.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 2 months later...

Perhaps you'll read this again - I tried the batch job again, but the OK button is always greyed out. I remember, a couple of weeks ago when we talked about this, the same happened but I made it somehow work. I don't see any setting I could change to make enable the "OK" button at the batch job dialog

1 hour ago, markus985 said:

Perhaps you'll read this again - I tried the batch job again, but the OK button is always greyed out. I remember, a couple of weeks ago when we talked about this, the same happened but I made it somehow work. I don't see any setting I could change to make enable the "OK" button at the batch job dialog

It would help to have a screenshot showing your problem.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

@walt.farrell on my 5th attempt I managed it .. I think you need to Authorize on root level. I always just selected the destination folder I wanted the files to be saved. I cannot even show now, because now I cannot "unnauthorize" to show it again. I assume the solution is to just pick the root folder on the system for authorization. It did work at least.