You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Opening a second document doesn’t work

Hey guys,

first things first, I’m using the most current APublisher version on the most current version of Windows 10. When I start APublisher and open a document via File > Open Recent > ..., I’ll load just fine. When I try to open a second document from the File Explorer, nothing happens. Opening the same document from APublisher through Open Recent works though. Also, opening both documents from the File Explorer works. It seems to be the combination of opening through different ways that APublisher doesn’t like.

For me, with Publisher 1.10.5.1342 on Windows 10...

With Publisher not running:

• Double-clicking an AFPUB document in Explorer launches the application and loads the document, then double-clicking another AFPUB document in Explorer loads the other document.

With Publisher running:

• Selecting a document from menu “File → Open Recent” loads the document, then double-clicking an AFPUB document in Explorer loads the other document.
  • Double-clicking an AFPUB document in Explorer loads the document, then selecting a document from menu “File → Open Recent” loads the document.

It all seems to be working fine for me.

When you try to load the second document and “nothing happens” have a look in the Window menu and see how many documents are loaded.

• Staff

Hi @RickBiessman,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble!

I can also confirm the above behaviour from Garry, multiple files appear to be loading correctly for me.

If you're still having trouble locating/loading a second file, could you please provide a screen recording showing the exact steps you're taking?

If you're unsure how to take a screen recording, please check out our FAQ linked below - 

Many thanks in advance :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• Staff

Many thanks for providing that for me! I can see that Windows Explorer appears to try and load the file somewhere, but seemingly not in the open Affinity app.

I'd like to try the following:

• Open Affinity Publisher and use Open Recent to load the most recent document
  • Navigate to the second .afpub file in Windows Explorer
  • Right-click and select Open With > Affinity Publisher

Does the second document now load as expected? :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

No, sadly the file that I try to open from the file explorer does not show up in Publisher’s list of recend documents. :| When I close the program and open it back up again, the latest entry is still the one opened directly from Publisher.

But thanks for the super quick replies! I really appreciate that.

3 hours ago, RickBiessman said:

No, sadly the file that I try to open from the file explorer does not show up in Publisher’s list of recend documents.

Earlier you seem to have been saying that it didn't open at all. Is the problem that it doesn't open, or that it doesn't show up in the list of Recent documents?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff

Thanks for clearing that up!

Is this happening with multiple files, or only the one shown in your screenshot? If only the one file, are you able to provide a copy of this here for me? :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

• Staff

Many thanks for letting me know, I can see you've purchased from the Affinity Store so there should be no 'Sandboxing' limits causing this - which I've previously seen cause other issues when installing the Microsoft Store version.

Can you please confirm for me, what is the install location for the Affinity app?
The default location is C:/Program Files/Affinity and our team are interested to know if your installation is on a secondary disk or if the filepath contains unexpected characters.

Many thanks for your continued patience and understanding here :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

I did use the default installation path for Publisher and Photo. Virtually all of my files are on a separate physical drive but the issue persists even when I try opening a file from drive C.

No worries, I figured the only way to fix a problem (especially when it's an exception) is to do some good old testing. :)

• Staff

Thank you for confirming that for me, I'd like to try a few things and request a log file to see if this contains any further information.

Firstly, please close Affinity Publisher, then right-click on the app EXE and select Run as Administrator.

If this does not make a change to the experienced behaviour, please navigate to the second .afpub file in Explorer, then right-click the .afpub file & select Open With... Choose another app > More Apps > Look for Another App on this PC- in the dialog that opens, please navigate to the below location:

C:\Program Files\Affinity\Publisher

Then select the Publisher.exe. Does your second file now open please?

I'd also like to request a copy of your event viewer log, to see if this points to a potential cause. To generate this please do the following:

1. Open Windows Run (Windows Key + R) and type the following - eventvwr
2. In the window that opens, select the Windows Logs drop-down list on the left and then Applications
3. With the Applications logs selected, navigate to the right side of the window and select Save All Events As... and save them as .evtx (the default option).
4. Attach this saved file to your reply here.  

Finally, can you also please confirm that none of the following apps are installed on your PC?

Please note -

Many thanks!