You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Pen Tool should be the default instead of Node Tool For Consistency with Designer

I was gonna post about "Make Pen Tool the default instead of Node Tool For Consistency with Designer" and then I solved it my selecting the Pen Tool, and selecting Edit > Defaults > Save. Now Pen Tool is the default on this computer.

But it would be nice, for consistency, if next version of AP comes with Pen Tool as default.

Isn't it better to use the menu View\Customize Tools... to set both tools on the Tools panel? I consider the Pen Tool and the Node Tool to be such basic tools that it is not advisable to switch them all the time.
I find the tool switching impractical, confusing, and only needed for very small screens.

Edited by Pšenda

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

On 7/20/2022 at 6:07 PM, angelhdz12 said:

I was gonna post about "Make Pen Tool the default instead of Node Tool For Consistency with Designer" and then I solved it my selecting the Pen Tool, and selecting Edit > Defaults > Save. Now Pen Tool is the default on this computer.

But it would be nice, for consistency, if next version of AP comes with Pen Tool as default.

Node tool and Pen Tool are completely separate tools in the toolbar. Just a matter of hitting 'P'.

15 hours ago, debraspicher said:

Node tool and Pen Tool are completely separate tools in the toolbar.

Pen and Node Tool are switched in APhoto.

image.png.e6ef2cbfdf71958d82d8d9ba7569fb31.png

But the request is for ADesigner, where the tools are separate, so it's a bit confusing what the OP actually wants.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

5 hours ago, Pšenda said:

Pen and Node Tool are switched in APhoto.

image.png.e6ef2cbfdf71958d82d8d9ba7569fb31.png

But the request is for ADesigner, where the tools are separate, so it's a bit confusing what the OP actually wants.

Yeah I don't adjust vectors in Photo. Not practical lol. I wouldn't even remember the limitations I would've run into because it felt too clunky in AP.

Update:

Pšenda
Silly me. My apologizes. I'm lately confusing the forums. This thread was supposed to be in Affinity Photo forum.
Second, I totally forgot that in Designer, Node and Pen tools are separate. What I meant with "For Consistency with Designer" it's that in Designer the pen tool is the main tool to draw vectors, so in Photo, if there's gonna be a Node and Pen tools, the common sense is to also set the Pen tool as default.

(Maybe it was a bug in Photo where the Node tool was set as default even after I deleted all the settings from temp folder and installed Photo from scratch, who knows...)

Last words, wow I always forget we can customize the Tool Box. I just added the pen and node tools separately! 🤯
image.png.bd3545bbceb6179ba1a2ed97b7974861.png 

You have been very kind and helpful.

debraspicher:

Just because you prefer things one way, or because you can't understand why someone needs something one way or the other, doesn't mean you can impose standards to everyone. In my former publishing agency, I used only Photoshop for everything, because, 
the smart people taking decisions in Adobe, knew how useful it would be to have the ability to work with pixels and vectors in the same program.
We can even make animations and export to GIF in Photoshop. Almost all the basic vector tools are there. I never needed Illustrator.

So my need of being able to work with pixels and vectors in the same program is not something ridiculous as you are making it seem, 
and proof of this is the fact that the primary vector tool is present in a pixel program. If the intention is only to work with pixels, they wouldn't have added the pen tool.
Also, it has been proven many times how making masks with the pen tools is better than making masks with the Pixel Selection tool or Marquee Tool.
In PS, we can even save the vector mask and reuse later (even there's a Selection to Path very useful feature).

So, thanks for being helpful, "lol".