You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

opening file in affinity designer, low resolution texture.

STAMPA-Etichette-QRmenu.pdf

Hi everyone, If I open (and not place) this file in affinity designer,

the brown texture on top and back is shown automatically in a low resolution.

I don't know why.

If I PLACE the same file in a artboard, the same texture is imported in high resolution.

(I noticed it later).

I needed to process the file in Adobe Illustrator to print it correctly.

I politely ask you if there is something I am missing.

Have a nice day :)

• Staff

Hi @Federicocentrocopie,

Perhaps this is because the vector texture on both the top and bottom rectangle objects isn't supported by affinity in a vector format if the PDF has come from a different application.

When the PDF is placed into a document, by default it will be in Passthrough mode to give an exact reproduction of the PDF, as such the texture appears in a higher resolution (if the document is exported to PDF it will also appear as a vector graphic). 

image.png

However, if you were to change the Passthrough mode to Interpret you will see a rasterised/bitmap view of the object's texture, with the same appearance if the document is exported to PDF.

image.png

It's likely the same PDF Interpret is taking place when the document is opened via File > Open.

https://affinity.help/designer/English.lproj/pages/Media/placeImages.html

In situations Illustrator is not available, vector patterns within a PDF can most often be opened and expanded and then exported to Affinity apps as e.g. PDF objects (or via Clipboard) also with Inkscape, in addition to commercial apps like CorelDRAW and VectorStyler.

16 minutes ago, lacerto said:

In situations Illustrator is not available, vector patterns within a PDF can most often be opened and expanded and then exported to Affinity apps as e.g. PDF objects (or via Clipboard) also with Inkscape, in addition to commercial apps like CorelDRAW and VectorStyler.

VS didn't work for me (using the Win version). Xara P&GD nearly always works for me (and did in this case). CD did and keeps it as a vector pattern (after a fashion). PL did keep it as vector, but uneditable points as far as I can tell (as did QXP). Didn't try InkScape.

2 hours ago, MikeW said:

VS didn't work for me (using the Win version).

Oh yes, sorry, it only worked when the job was saved as AI (from AI CS6, whether with PDF stream or not). It does it via Pattern panel's hamburger menu command Extract Pattern Content and extracts the pattern similarly as Inkscape (which, like CorelDRAW, can read the pattern from the PDF). A bit odd, since one might think that having vector pattens as part of the PDF stream would be more accessible than having them saved in native AI format.