You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I am using affinity Publisher. And need help with page views.

I have a 51 page document, and when printing, I want certain pages to not be printed on the back of other pages. I am adding in blank pages. For some reason I am really struggling to figure out what pages are going to be printed on the back of others. I am happy to share my file. Basically I am making a players handbook for a TTRPG I own. 

In this handbook, I do not want anything on the back of the character sheets, or some of the other pages. What is the easiest way to do  this? Is there a book view, so that I can flip the pages with my mouse, like I am reading a real hardcopy of a book? Or is what I am asking a feature request? 

Use "facing pages". Then each second page will be a back side of its previous page. So for instance if page 1 is a right page, e.g. the Title page, then page 2 is its back side. Page 3 is a new sheet with page 4 as its back side … etc. – Or: odd page numbers are front, even pages back side.

For "book view" either simply click through your .afpub, or export as PDF and in your PDF viewer app activate 2-page view with page 1 as single start page.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

7 hours ago, robertsaron said:

I was hoping for something different than facing pages. For some reason my brain does not work well with that. I suppose I could send it to my kindle, and do page turns that way. I need a better visual representation than facing pages. 

When exporting to PDF (for your Kindle), you would usually export using the "All Pages" setting, rather than "All Spreads", and you would at that point have single pages. But I'm puzzled by your mentioning Kindles, as "on the back of" for pages has no meaning (to me) except for physical printed books.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

12 hours ago, robertsaron said:

... For some reason I am really struggling to figure out what pages are going to be printed on the back of others. ...

Grab an old magazine and use a big felt pen to write your page content in it and whether or not you want to have it blank. 

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

1 hour ago, Old Bruce said:

Grab an old magazine and use a big felt pen to write your page content in it and whether or not you want to have it blank. 

I love this Idea thanks. It may not be the Kindle I am thinking of, but there is some software for PC, or tablets, that when you view a PDF or Ebooks, it simulates actual page turns. I thought I saw it on the kindle, but I could be remembering wrong.

Thanks for the help everyone. This thread can be closed, as I got my answers. 

1 minute ago, robertsaron said:

some software for PC, or tablets, that when you view a PDF or Ebooks, it simulates actual page turns.

See the link in my last post above.
(... and possibly consider once more if you really do not want facing pages for a "book view" and with this page flip animation)

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1