You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo on MacBook Pro

I'm watching an Affinity Photo video on using "Channels". The video shows the Channels tab. Inside the tab there are Composite options for RG&B, Background options for RG&B and Pixel options for RG&B. When I open the Channels tab in my applications, the Pixel options for RG&B are missing. I only have a single option for "Pixel Selection". Why does my Channels tab not mirror the one in the video???

MacBook Pro 15", Mid 2012, AP V 1.10.5

Did you opened or placed an RGB image, so is it an (image) or (pixel) layer which is selected when you switch over to the channels panel? - In case of an image layer rasterize & select it and retry viewing the channels.

You may want to show a screenshot of your APh workspace with an loaded in image and visable layers- and channels panels.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

16 hours ago, v_kyr said:

Did you opened or placed an RGB image, so is it an (image) or (pixel) layer which is selected when you switch over to the channels panel? - In case of an image layer rasterize & select it and retry viewing the channels.

You may want to show a screenshot of your APh workspace with an loaded in image and visable layers- and channels panels.

Screen shot shows pixel layer. Original image CR2 (RAW) then processed/opened in AP. Screen shots attached, hope it helps!

Screen Shot 2022-06-17 at 10.27.49 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-06-17 at 10.29.26 AM.png

@hobbytobiz

As you are learning about this stuff one thing to do is rename the Background layers to something unique. Bottom, Topmost and Original or 1, 2 and 3. This will help when you start manipulating the contents of the channels. 

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

56 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

@hobbytobiz

As you are learning about this stuff one thing to do is rename the Background layers to something unique. Bottom, Topmost and Original or 1, 2 and 3. This will help when you start manipulating the contents of the channels. 

Yeah, I'll worry about that after I solve my real issue at hand.

Just now, hobbytobiz said:

Yeah, I'll worry about that after I solve my real issue at hand.

Your screenshot of your Channels panel shows the three sets, the composite, the actual selected layer and the pixel selection. Your may need to drag it larger/ taller. On my Mac I have scroll bars set to show all the time in the OS system preferences, which needs to be turned on. 

1842408570_ScreenShot2022-06-17at8_46_03AM.png.98c77093f4685ecedc5ac402ae671d2b.png

Additionally as you make selections in the Layers panel the "Background" parts will be changed (hence my naming suggestion) and if there is no pixel layer selected in the Layers panel then there will be the Composite and Pixel Selection only.

Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

17 hours ago, v_kyr said:

Yeah, background options still not functioning.

2 minutes ago, hobbytobiz said:

Yeah, background options still not functioning.

What "options"?

You must realize that I (we) have no idea what video you are watching. So I (we) have no ideas about what sort of options are missing let alone what the options are.

link to video: 

When the Channels Tab opens there are Composite RGB options, then Background RGB options. The Background R or G or B options should respond to Rt-Click and open a selection box. That function does not work on my AP app.

15 minutes ago, hobbytobiz said:

The Background R or G or B options should respond to Rt-Click and open a selection box. That function does not work on my AP app.

Selection box?  - I think you mean a right click popup menu instead (?).

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

Just now, v_kyr said:

Selection box?  - I think you mean a right click popup menu instead (?).

OK, you're right. That having been said, do you have a solution to the problem?

3 minutes ago, hobbytobiz said:

OK, you're right. That having been said, do you have a solution to the problem?

Did you also tried it (accessing the channels right click context-menu there) on another fresh loaded in document/image file? - Since usually it should work, what MacOS version do you use?  Other than that if you can share the APh file with the settings you've applied, aka where this happens to you, we can try out if we can resemble that behavior on our MacOS systems.

Arggh, this is so similar to something in my memory. What kind of mouse are you using? You may have to set it up to use the Right Click. Do this in the OS System preferences.

Apple makes quite possibly the world's worst mice. Utter [expletive deleted], all of them.

3 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

Arggh, this is so similar to something in my memory. What kind of mouse are you using? You may have to set it up to use the Right Click. Do this in the OS System preferences.

Apple makes quite possibly the world's worst mice. Utter [expletive deleted], all of them.

In case it's due to the mouse settings as @Old Bruce suggests, for the Apple mouse it's settable ...

maus_settings.jpg.8e1d43bfd1fb1fb8e82e346c496cac90.jpg

... for other mices it should be too customizable via settings to perform a right click then.

And yes, the Apple mices are pretty unergonomical and not the best choice at all in overall handling!

20 hours ago, v_kyr said:

In case it's due to the mouse settings as @Old Bruce suggests, for the Apple mouse it's settable ...

maus_settings.jpg.8e1d43bfd1fb1fb8e82e346c496cac90.jpg

... for other mices it should be too customizable via settings to perform a right click then.

And yes, the Apple mices are pretty unergonomical and not the best choice at all in overall handling!

I'm using a MacBook Pro WITHOUT a mouse. It has a Trakpad. Rt-Click on a trackpad uses the control-click. The control-click works on all other AP menu items EXCEPT for items under the Channels Tab!

Watch the video I highlighted above. All the R, G or B channels and functions shown used in the video DO NOT work in my version of AP. That's the problem I'm trying to resolve.

12 minutes ago, hobbytobiz said:

Rt-Click on a trackpad uses the control-click.

You should set the Trackpad in the System Preferences to use a two finger tap to generate a Right Click. There is a known bug with the Control Key used in Channels tab. I found this searching for "Control Channels"

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/161222-cant-load-spare-channels-with-control-click-command-click/#comment-916399

1131328360_ScreenShot2022-06-18at7_43_03AM.png.ef6e1bc4f2ebd38c25ea80b63517b1a4.png

19 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

You should set the Trackpad in the System Preferences to use a two finger tap to generate a Right Click.

Or, perhaps, use the other workaround suggested in the thread you pointed to.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

5 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

You should set the Trackpad in the System Preferences to use a two finger tap to generate a Right Click. There is a known bug with the Control Key used in Channels tab. I found this searching for "Control Channels"

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/161222-cant-load-spare-channels-with-control-click-command-click/#comment-916399

1131328360_ScreenShot2022-06-18at7_43_03AM.png.ef6e1bc4f2ebd38c25ea80b63517b1a4.png

Interestingly enough, I checked and the Secondary Click feature was enabled already in my settings. I wasn’t aware of it or that it was available. Good thing you mentioned it, cause it worked and opened the tool that I needed. Thank you!

I’m going to post the solution to this problem acknowledging your contribution. Thanks again.

On 6/16/2022 at 5:36 PM, hobbytobiz said:

Affinity Photo on MacBook Pro

I'm watching an Affinity Photo video on using "Channels". The video shows the Channels tab. Inside the tab there are Composite options for RG&B, Background options for RG&B and Pixel options for RG&B. When I open the Channels tab in my applications, the Pixel options for RG&B are missing. I only have a single option for "Pixel Selection". Why does my Channels tab not mirror the one in the video???

UPDATE & SOLUTION:

Below you’ll find a suggestion by “Old Bruce” that solved the problem. Although “control-click” will work with many features/tools in AP, it apparently doesn’t work in the Channels Tab. But the solution by Old Bruce does. His post is embedded below.

Thanks dude!