You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How can I create this effect?

1 hour ago, NotMyFault said:

How can anybody else provide an example ?

I am asking for an example *.afphoto file to experiment with, for example like the one shown as a PNG file in the OP or in this post.

On my own files I do not ever get simple lines, just horizontal blotches that vary in thickness.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

5 hours ago, PaulEC said:

I'm not sure if it is exactly the same, but this is my version!

Thanks. That seems to work OK on my Mac, although if I toggle off of "Kine" & back to it again, the "Cosine" field greys out.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

16 hours ago, NotMyFault said:

only live filter has protect alpha, but this has no visible impact.

tested on iPad. 

I do not see a protect alpha option in the desktop version on my Mac. Do you see it in the desktop version?

Affinity Photo 

23 minutes ago, R C-R said:

if I toggle off of "Kine" & back to it again, the "Cosine" field greys out.

Only Screen settings of Colour and Monochrome use the Dot options.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

I do not see a protect alpha option in the desktop version on my Mac. Do you see it in the desktop version?

No, only on iPad. Another mysterious platform discrepancy.

Below screenshots of live / destructive halftone UI.

Screenshot 2022-06-07 at 17.40.34.png

Screenshot 2022-06-07 at 17.41.20.png

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

2 hours ago, PaulEC said:

Only Screen settings of Colour and Monochrome use the Dot options.

I assumed that to be the case, but what is weird is when I open the live filter in your file, Line is selected & the Cosine Dot option is not greyed out. That only happens if I toggle to another Screen type & back again. So there is definitely something amiss in how that live filter displays on my iMac, but apparently only in mine. Weird.

58 minutes ago, NotMyFault said:

No, only on iPad. Another mysterious platform discrepancy.

Just a suggestion but it would be less confusing in discussions like this one in the <ahem> desktop questions forum if you mentioned that when you first mentioned where you saw the alpha option....

Affinity Photo 

41 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Just a suggestion but it would be less confusing in discussions like this one in the <ahem> desktop questions forum if you mentioned that when you first mentioned where you saw the alpha option....

I did say „tested on iPad“. It’s even in your quote of my post.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

14 minutes ago, NotMyFault said:

I did say „tested on iPad“. It’s even in your quote of my post.

But that doesn't say one way or the other if it is something you could test/use in the desktop apps. So that lead to this reply asking if you could show the "Protect Alpha" in the Halftone Filter, so it was not very clear that this is an iPad only filer option.

Affinity Photo 

20 minutes ago, R C-R said:

o it was not very clear that this is an iPad only filer option.

I did not know that either. How can i tell you something i didn’t know at the time of writing?

37 minutes ago, NotMyFault said:

I did not know that either. How can i tell you something i didn’t know at the time of writing?

It is just a suggestion but please keep in mind that if you mention something in the desktop questions forum, it is reasonable to assume that it applies to the desktop version unless explicitly stated otherwise. 'Tested on iPad' does not tell us anything about what you knew about that option on the desktop version, or if or when you might have tested it there.

So something like 'tested only on iPad' or better yet, 'not tested on the desktop app' would reduce/eliminate any confusion about that.

Affinity Photo