You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Data Merge - app crash while generating

I am using 1.10.5 version of Affinity Publisher on 2016 15-inch MacBook Pro, macOS Monterey 12.3.1. 

Application is constantly crashing while generating from Data Merge. Loading bar shows on the screen and then application goes off.

I tried many options, xlsx and csv files attached. Fields added in Frame Text Tool and Artistic Text Tool with Show Text Flow turned on and off. 

• Staff

Hi Michal,
Welcome to the forums,

I'm sorry to hear Affinity Publisher is crashing when you try to perform a Data Merge. Please could you provide a copy of the latest crash report by following the below FAQ guide? It would also be handy if you could provide one of the CSV files in question, if you would rather not post it publicly let me know and I will provide a link to our DropBox this should allow me to investigate this further :)

Thanks
C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

On 6/1/2022 at 12:33 PM, Michał Malewczyk said:

Application is constantly crashing while generating from Data Merge.

I can't reproduce a crash. I used your .xlsx file with its first columns A – H and get it generated as expected.

Just a guess: Since on some macs, respectively in some macOS versions like Monterey, the APub performance options "Metal" / "Hardware Acceleration" are reported quite a few times to cause issues / crashes you could try to switch both OFF. – Nevertheless, in my rather old mac+OS configuration none of the options caused an issue with my data merge trial of your .xlsx.

• Can you generate the data merge with my .afpubzestawienie_datamerge 1.afpub
• Can you upload you crashing .afpub for a test with your specific layout?

944314713_zestawieniedatamerge1.thumb.jpg.1030d7537c6c44dde0d7a7d56193525a.jpg

495070228_zestawieniedatamerge2.thumb.jpg.d483657d847649184d38d2fd5a87b03e.jpg

When I open the .xlsx in the macOS Preview.app it displays some additional columns with "pill" shaped icons in light gray, which do not occur if opened in the MS Excel.app. When I hover over them their gray gets darkened permanently, clicking them doesn't turn them back to light gray.

Does one know what this extra columns do represent or indicate? Is possibly related to the decimals hidden in the column left of them? However, APub appears to ignore those symbols & shows 2 decimals where they exist.

2115840509_zestawieniexlsPreview.jpg.7969bb91f560fa622bc985c903214f7d.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

@Old Bruce

Unfortunately changing semicolons to commas didn't helped. 

@thomaso

I can see, that you are using Data Merge Layout Tool. What I was trying to do is to generate new pages with Data Merge. Sorry for being not precise enough.

@Callum

The problem is solved. The crash was caused by linked and masked pdf on content page. I suppose it was just too much for my computer to generate new pages and copy this pdf. 

38 minutes ago, Michał Malewczyk said:

I can see, that you are using Data Merge Layout Tool. What I was trying to do is to generate new pages with Data Merge. Sorry for being not precise enough.

Is it possible to create new pages with Data Merge without using the Data Merge Layout Tool? Doesn't Data Merge always generate new pages? – Compare my .afpub above, it contains 1 page only, if you choose "Generate" it creates a new document which contains 3 pages. If my layout had fewer rows or columns, the new document would produce more pages, accordingly the layout can have only 1 row and column and produce as many pages as the total number of cells or rows in the input file.

Or am I missing a different workflow for Data Merge that does not use the Data Merge Layout Tool?

@thomaso

According to the instruction:

https://affinity.help/publisher/en-US.lproj/index.html?page=pages/Advanced/dataMerge.html?title=Data merge

In "Design to a single spread or grid layout" (first dot) you will find, that when you will put some fields on one content page and hit "Generate" in Data Merge it will generate new pages. You do not have to use Data Merge Layout Tool with 1 column and 1 row. Or maybe I do not understood the instruction properly. 

40 minutes ago, Michał Malewczyk said:

when you will put some fields on one content page and hit "Generate" in Data Merge it will generate new pages. You do not have to use Data Merge Layout Tool with 1 column and 1 row.

Oh, thanks! – I never had thought of this option! Stupid me.
(Whereas I think to test if a data file is reliable or data merge causes a crash both workflows are useful)

58514370_datamergewithoutlayouttool.thumb.jpg.666234c7f8ed24aa2ab79a64dc65b60a.jpg