You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Solved: Publisher - MacOS BigSur - Virtual Box

Good day to all.

I'm looking for help on running both Publisher and Photo on MacOS BigSur but in a virtual box.

I have everything installed and it is running well in general.

I'm on an alienware m15 r3 running linux mint. I have 32gb memory and 500gb SSD.

Ok, now for my problem. When I install Publisher everything works, except nothing shows up on the page i'm working on. Is this normal? When I save the document in any format and then open the saved document, all my work appears perfectly as I created it. It's just in the app itself that nothing shows on the actual page i'm working on. However things do show on the left bar master pages and pages images, as can be seen in the image below.

Any help out there?

Thanks, Hope all have a great day.

Ronnie Gill

image.jpeg

Edited by silvergill47

24 minutes ago, silvergill47 said:

I'm on an alienware m15 r3 running linux mint

Affinity software runs on Windows and Mac, and only those two Operating Systems.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

7 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

Affinity software runs on Windows and Mac, and only those two Operating Systems.

Virtual Box!

----------
Windows 10 / 11, Complete Suite Retail and Beta

17 minutes ago, pbasdf said:

Hi Ronnie,

Does it work any better if you use a different font?  - note the “?” by the Open Sans font name in the context toolbar.  Suggests there’s a problem with that font.

No, changing the font doesn't change anything, but thanks.

That was one of the first things I was hoping would fix the problem.  

23 minutes ago, joe_l said:

Virtual Box!

?

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

3 minutes ago, lacerto said:

Under Preferences > Performance, I think you need to select "Software" for the Display option (I think it is the only one available when running the app on a virtual machine).

I figured it out. And yes, that absolutely worked! 

Thank you so much for your help.

Problem solved!

This is going to be a good day, I can feel it.

14 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

?

He runs Affinity for Mac in a Virtual Machine on Linux, so yes, silvergill47 is using a Mac version, but on Linux.

----------
Windows 10 / 11, Complete Suite Retail and Beta

13 hours ago, joe_l said:

He runs Affinity for Mac in a Virtual Machine on Linux, so yes, silvergill47 is using a Mac version, but on Linux.

But Serif/Affinity does not support this & besides, Apple prohibits running the macOS on anything other than an Apple-branded Mac.

IOW, this is a hack that probably will never work perfectly.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

2 minutes ago, LondonSquirrel said:

:.. to install, use and run up to two (2) additional copies or instances of the Apple Software within virtual operating system environments on each Mac Computer you own or control that is already running the Apple Software'. 

Note that the OP is not running the macOS on a Mac, & that there is no way for that Alienware m15 r3 to obtain or run it on that computer that conforms to Apple's licensing terms.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7