You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Outline designed with a vector brush / EPS

OK, as far as I understand, there is in fact a core curve that defines the way of the stroke. Wouldn't make sense without it, I think. The texture is defined by groups of vectors that are aligned to the core curve. Right? That would in fact be cool, if it doesn't blow up the file size to astronomical dimensions. I made the experience f.e., that when I autotrace complex texturized objects, that I get a vast number of nodes, and because every node causes data, in such cases quite often the software crashed or freezed.

But anyway, thanx, this made it a lot clearer to me!

11 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

I tried the new version of Inkscape, it offers a very good vectorisation of PNG. Inkscape is a very good and free software.

Yes, that is exactly the app I use to autotrace with. Really good, but still with some limitations. Especially the color management should become better, I think.

6 hours ago, iconoclast said:

OK, as far as I understand, there is in fact a core curve that defines the way of the stroke. Wouldn't make sense without it, I think. The texture is defined by groups of vectors that are aligned to the core curve. Right? That would in fact be cool, if it doesn't blow up the file size to astronomical dimensions. I made the experience f.e., that when I autotrace complex texturized objects, that I get a vast number of nodes, and because every node causes data, in such cases quite often the software crashed or freezed.

But anyway, thanx, this made it a lot clearer to me!

Illustrator brushes are similar to affinity's brushes only more sophisticated, they can use vector designs drawn in Adobe Illustrator in a similar way Affinity uses png files, this is what baffles me about affinity not being able to use vector graphics drawn in Affinity. 

Invariably, Adobe Illustrator brushes come as .ai files that you import them as brush libraries. There can be several parts to the brushes such as an outer corner, inner corner, straight run, an end and a start.

These are called Pattern Brushes

image.png.3bf2e8228fda084ba0c0a7005c66095f.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.4.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

That sounds very good. As far as I understand, the vector parts that go for the texture can't be modified as curves, right? So this might be the important point and the key to my misunderstanding. In that case they probably don't blow up the file size like I suggested, because there isn't too much data.

I'm sure, the Affinity devs are already fiddling on a similar solution in their dark chambers. In my opinion, the brush engine of Designer needs some improvement anyway, even it is already usable as it is. But I would like to have a little more capabilities there. Looking forward for upcoming sensations!

I'd never of heard of it before until another thread mentioned it, but I took a look at the feature-set for VectorStyler, and that has 'true' vector brushes as well. Looks pretty decent. It's competitively priced as well, so maybe Affinity Designer needs to catch up!

On 3/24/2022 at 3:34 PM, iconoclast said:

That sounds very good. As far as I understand, the vector parts that go for the texture can't be modified as curves, right? So this might be the important point and the key to my misunderstanding. In that case they probably don't blow up the file size like I suggested, because there isn't too much data.

I'm sure, the Affinity devs are already fiddling on a similar solution in their dark chambers. In my opinion, the brush engine of Designer needs some improvement anyway, even it is already usable as it is. But I would like to have a little more capabilities there. Looking forward for upcoming sensations!

Illustrators texture sections for the brushes are all vector and can be expanded if necessary for modification. Like I've said before Illustrators brushes are more sophisticated which is understandable considering Illustrators lineage and age. 

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.4.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

39 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

Illustrators texture sections for the brushes are all vector and can be expanded if necessary for modification. Like I've said before Illustrators brushes are more sophisticated which is understandable considering Illustrators lineage and age. 

Yes of course, and they bought Macromedia Freehand years ago and integrated parts of that into Illustrator. Hope they will not take over also Affinity some day!