You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Plug In - Neat Image Noise Reduction

Hi new user here that has migrated from Photoshop. So far I have been very impressed with the speed and functions of Affinity.  

I would like to employ a noise reduction plug in and like many here I hope you soon produce a list of plug ins that you have tested and have shown to to work with Affinity.

I have tried to install Neat Image's photoshop noise reduction plug-in without success. The steps I employed are:

1. I have went to the Affinity preferences menu and in the photoshop plug in tab put the location off the Neat Image plug in file in the plug in search box.  I had the plugin  installed in a folder in the Applications folder.
  2. I also put  the “/“ in the plugin support box. The plug in appeared under the filters menu, but it did not load when I selected it.
  3. I then went back and located the specific location of other files the plug in installed within the applications folder. Those files are all within one other folder in the applications folder and I put that path in the plugin support box in the plug in preferences page and rebooted Affinity.
  4. The plug in appears in the preference window and its status is  listed at “unknown”.  I checked the  “allow unknown plugins to be used” box.
  5. Now  when I select the plug in under the filters menu, it starts to load, but I get an error message from the plugin software that states” Could not initialize data structures”.

Any thoughts on any other steps I might employ or does this sound like a more complex incompatibility issue. 

Thanks

• Staff

Welcome to the forums Greendrake :)

I've downloaded the Neat Noise Reduction plugin but i've been unable to get it to work with AP. I don't get any errors but the interface doesn't load. Our developers are aware that some plugins don't work and support for Photoshop plugins is still ongoing.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

Reinstalling Affinity Photo or Neat Noise Reduction plugin won't help at the moment. The plugin only appears to work with PS and Aperture. Perhaps you could contact Neat Image to see if they have plans to add support for Affinity Photo in the future :)

• 4 weeks later...

I contacted Neat Image support and this was their response :

We tested that application some time ago and found that it
didn't fully support the Photoshop plug-in API that is correctly
supported by true Photoshop. It is likely that the developers of
Affinity Photo need to adjust their application to address that.

If you come in contact with them please ask them to run the
plug-in in Affinity Photo and see what API calls are used by
Neat Image and whether Affinity Photo correctly processes all of
them.

So, it looks as if they won't add support for Affinity Photo.

How about the Affinity team ? Any time and interest in getting this plugin to work ?

I certainly hope plugin support greatly improves.  I have an older copy of Photoshop that I have to hang onto in order to use any of a number of Photoshop-compatible filters and plugins.  I love Affinity and I'd like to never open Photoshop again but until plugins work in Affinity, I have to keep using it for certain processes.

• 5 months later...

Good day guys, 

Developers of Neat Image here. I've just came over this thread and would like to let you know that the recently released version 8.0 of Neat Image for Photoshop now officially supports Affinity Photo 1.4.1+ for OS X.

On a technical note, there remain limitations from the host application side, but we've been able to make necessary workarounds to launch the product.

You are very welcome to download and try our software. Demo version is free.

https://ni.neatvideo.com/download

Hi Miguel,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

No, it doesn't work. For more info on which ones are working check this page. Click on the names of the plug-ins for details.

MEB,

Thanks for the welcome and the response! I wanted to buy Affinity Photo during your special a few days ago but I needed it to work with Neat Image. Now that I've got the answer I'd like to purchase it. Any possibility of getting at the special pricing you just closed? Thanks for the consideration. 

@sergey, Thanks for the response. I've been using Neat 7.4(?) and just updated to ver 8.0. I don't know how you found my question on this forum but glad you did. Thanks for the reply!

Best

Miguel

• 7 months later...