You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

No Image file preview with images exported or generated by Affinity Photo

As I have made any image file default to open in Affinity Photo, any photo file I have in folders or on the desktop now has an .aphoto icon instead of a preview photo image. In the Affinity Photo General Preference I selected to keep previews attached to images. How do you make a file preview that actually gives you an image? This is really frustrating when trying to locate a photo from a file. 

Can you give us a screenshot of what you're seeing? Also, what OS are you on?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks. I will let someone more familiar with MacOS comment further, but that gives them more info.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

18 hours ago, DwBStudio said:

How do you make a file preview that actually gives you an image? This is really frustrating when trying to locate a photo from a file. 

You just have to have the setting in the finder's View Options set to show the preview. Command + J brings up this window.

835273090_ScreenShot2022-03-11at8_03_44AM.png.38ffe5778998984c598c687d2cf226b5.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

I have that selected already. This is different. I notice now that image files saved as *afphoto appear correctly in the file or desktop but Images saved as *jpg or *jpeg or *png or *tiff, etc. appear only as icons. Frustrating. Something else is going on. It is not Affinity but the OS?

Problem.png

Capture 2022-03-11_12-14-38_PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-03-11 at 12.15.57 PM.jpg

• Staff

Hi DwBStudio,

If you try unticking Save Thumbnails With Documents and then restart the app and then reopen the app and re tick Save Thumbnails With Documents does the app start saving thumbnails with files?

Thanks
C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

Are you using any iCloud or other cloud service for the files on your computer? If yes, does it keep track of the jpeg files on your desktop?

Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

Not for this drive. And any hard drive images and iCloud stored images also have the afphoto icon. Test: 1. I opened an image in Photoshop and saved it with a new name and in a jpg format. 2. I changed the default program to Photoshop just for that image. 3. Opened that image in Photoshop and, made a sharpening adjustment and saved image again. 4. Result: the photoshop image shows up with the afphoto icon! No icon preview. When I space bar open the image from the finder, I get a preview of the image so its not that Affinity Photo is not saving a quick view. And this is system wide with images. Changing the default image program doesn't change the icon. Stuck with a afphoto icon for every single image. 

25 minutes ago, DwBStudio said:

... any hard drive images and iCloud stored images also have the afphoto icon.

I am always checking in on the iCloud and making certain that it is turned off. I think that you have the same thing with iCloud stored images is a bit of a hint. I would try running with no internet connection and then open and save some of the images on the desktop.

What sort of thing happens with images in the Documents folder? I notice that you have a satellite image of the world as your desktop background. Is it a static image?

I will turn off the internet and see what happens.

When I drag an image from the desktop into my documents folder, the icon remains the afphoto icon. Just noticed that this behavior started recently (last month or two) as every image file that was created in January shows the correct preview icon. I can't remember when I finally decided to use AP as the default image processing program rather than Photoshop but that may be another clue about a system configuration.......

The background is dynamic but has never interfered with desktop files or folders.

On 3/14/2022 at 11:19 AM, DwBStudio said:

The background is dynamic but has never interfered with desktop files or folders.

Perhaps it is just interfering with the display of icon previews.

16 minutes ago, DwBStudio said:

Nope. Turned Earthdesk off, opened AP and saved an image in png format. No preview-just the icon. 

If you leave all the files as they are, but tell your OS to use some other program, do the previews come back?

-- Walt
PC:

I reinstalled Adobe Photoshop, changed the default image program to Photoshop and my image icons appeared. It must be how Affinity is handling the preview. I will wait and see if a new version of Affinity Photo fixes the icon preview problem. 

Ok. With Photoshop installed and set as default photo processing program, all the preview images returned. But now I have to right click on the preview to open in Affinity Photo. And after processing the previews are correct with image rather than the Affinity icon. This is a significant, in my mind, issue for Affinity. Does Affinity review these forums or do I need to submit a bug?

1 hour ago, DwBStudio said:

Ok. With Photoshop installed and set as default photo processing program, all the preview images returned. But now I have to right click on the preview to open in Affinity Photo. And after processing the previews are correct with image rather than the Affinity icon. This is a significant, in my mind, issue for Affinity. Does Affinity review these forums or do I need to submit a bug?

This is not a bug. It is how a computer's Operating System works with files, all files not just picture files. We can set one, and only one, application to open files of with a file extension of .xyz when we double click on it.

40 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

This is not a bug. It is how a computer's Operating System works with files, all files not just picture files. We can set one, and only one, application to open files of with a file extension of .xyz when we double click on it.

Yes, but why do the file previews appear when the files are set to open with PS, but not when they're set to open with one of the Affinity apps?

-- Walt
PC:

• 3 months later...