You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Two Font Questions: Why did I have to manually choose 100% black? And missing letters

On 3/18/2022 at 7:01 AM, Dennison said:

Not sure I understand correctly.  The Emoji DOES display correctly in the APub document but becomes a square in a pdf export

Some other users have reported similar results. I think it is because of the Mac being able to display the SBIX font, but the APub and/or the PDF library not supporting it.
The Mac font picker will display SBIX fonts, SVG fonts, variable fonts, etc. but they are not supported in APub (which confuses users).

On 3/18/2022 at 8:42 AM, R C-R said:

??? The Apple Emojis do display on my Mac, like @Dennison wrote above.

But can you print it or Export-to-PDF?
If you can, that is more confusing.
Why is the .notdef box appearing sometimes?

There have been multiple posts regarding the LiebeHeide SBIX font not working in APub.
So I have assumed SBIX is simply not working.
If you are interested, I can send you the font to test (view, print, export to PDF, PNG, etc).
I would certainly like to know (and others too) and have no way to test SBIX fonts.
Also have Scrapbook Custom which is also SBIX/OTF.

There is also an SBIX version of the free Bungee fonts (which I will attach below).
Like to get Mac user test results on that font too if anyone wants to test.

On 3/18/2022 at 9:29 AM, walt.farrell said:

The release notes for 1.10 (both Mac and Win) say:

• Added support for most emoji.

Yes, but I am not sure exactly what that means - "most emoji"
It would be nice to know exactly which emoji fonts work on which platform.

On Windows the default emoji font is Segoe UI Emoji, which is a COLR color font.
And we can see from tests that other COLR color fonts also work (but not 100%).
On the Mac the default emoji font is Apple Color Emoji, which is an SBIX color font.

So what I would like to know is ... are other SBIX fonts also working?
From the other posts about the LiebeHeide SBIX font it appears it is not working.
LiebeHeide is also an OTF/SBIX not a TTF/SBIX (like Apple Color Emoji), and it also has an SVG back-up in it - so are those structural differences an issue?
Or has something changed with some update and it works now?

Bungee Color fonts for testing
The free Bungee Color fonts include COLR, SBIX, and SVG versions in TTF format.
You can get the originals from GitHub: https://github.com/djrrb/Bungee/releases/tag/1.1.0
I have renamed them so you can install all three at the same time (name conflicts in originals).
BungeeColor.renamed.zip

57 minutes ago, LibreTraining said:
On 3/18/2022 at 10:42 AM, R C-R said:

??? The Apple Emojis do display on my Mac, like @Dennison wrote above.

I have not tried printing but it looks like the Apple Emojis are preserved in PDF exports.

emoji test.afdesign emoji test.pdf

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

25 minutes ago, R C-R said:

I have not tried printing but it looks like the Apple Emojis are preserved in PDF exports.

emoji test.afdesign  emoji test.pdf 41.56 kB · 0 downloads

Interesting. In the PDF all the emojis are embedded as images, not text.
When I open the ADesigner doc even the emojis are "Arial", but they appear with the fallback font, which is Segoe UI Emoji (on Windows).
On export to PDF all the emojis are embedded as multiple shapes, and all the individual elements shapes are still there, and it is also no longer text.
So definitely emojis are handled as a special case.

Can you export text from the Bungee Color SBIX font to a PDF?

1 hour ago, LibreTraining said:

If you can, that is more confusing.

… and the used font in the PDF is "Apple Symbols.ttf" – though I would have expected "Apple Colour Emoji.ttc".

When I re-open this PDF in APub the emojis are images, only the black chess horse is a symbol font any more.

v1104 apple emojis.pdf

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

11 minutes ago, thomaso said:

… and the used font in the PDF is "Apple Symbols.ttf" – though I would have expected "Apple Colour Emoji.ttc".

When I re-open this PDF in APub the emojis are images, only the black chess horse is a symbol font any more.

v1104 apple emojis.pdf 227.39 kB · 0 downloads

Apple Symbols.ttf is not a color font. It is a regular black Unicode text font.
(with some Apple weirdness i.e. Zaph table, morx table, etc.)
So the color emoji images you have in your PDF came from a fallback font,
which would be Apple Color Emoji.ttc (I assume).

31 minutes ago, LibreTraining said:

So definitely emojis are handled as a special case.

Yes, but it is not clear exactly how that works.

32 minutes ago, LibreTraining said:

Sorry, but for now I am not interested in adding more fonts to my Mac. maybe someone else with a Mac will be willing to test that.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

15 minutes ago, LibreTraining said:

It exports without error but doesn't contain anything.

The text frame in APub shows only the blank spaces as special characters, while the used characters take space in within the frame. (above: a frame copy with Courier to make the text visible).

Even the export dialog doesn't recognize any content and thus, with the text frame selected, the option "Selected Area" and "Selection Only" don't show up in the dialog > Area pull down menu.

1033633824_bungeecolorsbix_MacexportNOselection.thumb.jpg.27bd0bb2bb7497e5b477dce8e5377d00.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

1 hour ago, thomaso said:

It exports without error but doesn't contain anything.

The text frame in APub shows only the blank spaces as special characters, while the used characters take space in within the frame. (above: a frame copy with Courier to make the text visible).

Even the export dialog doesn't recognize any content and thus, with the text frame selected, the option "Selected Area" and "Selection Only" don't show up in the dialog > Area pull down menu.

1033633824_bungeecolorsbix_MacexportNOselection.thumb.jpg.27bd0bb2bb7497e5b477dce8e5377d00.jpg

Thanks for testing.

This sounds similar to what a user posted about LiebeHeide (not working):

It appears SBIX fonts generally are not supported, but that there is some sort of special handling for the Apple emoji SBIX font.

I have a couple other SBIX fonts ... if you are interested in testing those I can PM them to you.