You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

space before and after paragraph incorrect

When I have several paragraphs selected, some of them with different settings applied for space before or space after paragraph, the panel displays a value of 0. Instead it should show no value. When Publisher behaves like this it is harder to discover why text behaves the way it does. The same goes for leading. Why don't you just leave it open if multiple values are included in the selection? The same goes for the character panel, Position and transform. 

Bottom line: if Publisher shows a value for the selected text, I should be able to trust that it is that exact value. If there are more values in the selected text, it should display no value, so that I can set it to my preferred value.

Schermafbeelding 2022-03-08 om 10.09.21.png

I think Peter has raised a fair point. Apps can show the values of the first of multiple selected characters, or paragraphs, or objects or they can show mixed states. But Affinity does some of both.

For example in the Character studio panel, Affinity shows mixed states for font, weight, size, and char style but not for colour or background colour (which are in the same part of the panel) or for anything else below. Likewise in the Paragraph studio panel, Affinity shows mixed states for justification and para style but not for anything else.

IMO, Affinity is showing mixed states for the most important items but there's more work to do here someday. There is one very minor bug - in this screenshot you can see that Context Bar is showing left justification while the Paragraph studio is showing mixed states. All of the other controls that show mixed states in a studio panel also show mixed states in the Context Bar so this was likely just an oversight.

image.thumb.png.be6560f695d0f141b8111ae68d081ecc.png

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

5 hours ago, DWright said:

That is correct if you select each of the paragraphs individually you will see that they have different space after values.

When I select all the paragraphs to give them all the same setting it should not tell me first that there already is 0mm space before or after the paragraph. It should mention no value.

I wonder whether this UI behaviour is a leftover of a former beta bug report which once got 4 tags for the developers. Concerning text it appears the "size" value has been fixed meanwhile by showing no value now – but other text properties still appear confused, and, for several text frames, the displayed value in a specific field seems to depend on which text frame gets selected first. – So maybe it needs a fresh bug report.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1