You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Find and Replace Studio - Find field should have focus when invoked

When the shortcut to bring up the Find and Replace Studio is invoked…

• Good: If the studio is not open, it is first opened.
  • Good: If text is selected, the studio is first opened if needed, and regardless, the text selection is entered in the Find field, but in such a way that the user may start typing immediately to replace it if desired.
  • Good: If the studio is not open and no text is selected, the Find field has focus after the studio is opened, so that one may type in the Find field immediately.
  • Inconvenient: If the studio is open and no text is selected, the Find field gets cleared of the previous entry but does not have focus.

It is this last item that is inconsistent with the others and causes some minor inconvenience. When typing cmd-F, if the FaR studio is already open and no text is selected, then one cannot simply type cmd-F and start typing a search string, because that typed text will be entered elsewhere. Instead, the Find field in the FaR studio must be clicked into before typing, thus limiting the value of the shortcut. In fact, the shortcut in this case serves no purpose, whereas it could be useful to restore focus to the Find field so as to remove the need for the fingers to leave the keyboard. This is a familiar function in other software.

I've seen this, too, but isn't the trigger more complicated than just the studio being open and no text being selected? I tried it now for five minutes and I couldn't replicate the issue on demand, the Find field was always given focus. I know it happens but I don't know what triggers it.

On a related note, I have a similar issue with the Insert Index Mark dialog. The first field is Topic and it should always have focus when the dialog opens but sometimes Parent Topic is given focus. Again, I don't recall the trigger.

I'll keep my eye on both of these to come up with repeatable test cases.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

On 2/26/2022 at 8:21 AM, MikeTO said:

I tried it now for five minutes and I couldn't replicate the issue on demand, the Find field was always given focus.

A couple of thoughts:

1. When you are using the shortcut, is the FaR Studio already open but not currently in focus? Every time I try with the studio already open and no text selected in the document, the shortcut does absolutely nothing, rather than moving focus to the Find field as I would expect.
  2. When you test, is your FaR Studio docked or floating? New info: I discovered the problem happens for me only when the FaR Studio is floating. When docked, the Find field gets focus every time just as it should.

7 minutes ago, garrettm30 said:

A couple of thoughts:

1. When you are using the shortcut, is the FaR Studio already open but not currently in focus? Every time I try with the studio already open and no text selected in the document, the shortcut does absolutely nothing, rather than moving focus to the Find field as I would expect.
  2. When you test, is your FaR Studio docked or floating? New info: I discovered the problem happens for me only when the FaR Studio is floating. When docked, the Find field gets focus every time just as it should.

That's part of the problem but it still exists with a docked studio panel. However, I've confirmed the floating part of your bug.

• If Find and Replace is floating and closed, Text>Find or Cmd+F sets focus to the Find field
  • If Find and Replace is floating and open, Text>Find or Cmd+F does nothing
  • If Find and Replace is docked, Text>Find or Cmd+F usually sets focus to the Find field but not always

With regard to the docked version of this bug, few bugs are truly intermittent so there is a certain sequence of steps that must be followed to trigger it. The obvious candidates are whether the studio panel is visible or not, which field in the panel last had focus, whether a different studio last had focus, which tool is selected, etc., but I've tried all of those and haven't been able to duplicate it on demand. I'll keep an eye out for the next time it happens and see if I can then come up with repeatable steps. Once we've figured this out we can move this to the Report a Bug forum.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/1/2022 at 5:02 PM, MikeTO said:

That's part of the problem but it still exists with a docked studio panel. However, I've confirmed the floating part of your bug.

• If Find and Replace is floating and closed, Text>Find or Cmd+F sets focus to the Find field
  • If Find and Replace is floating and open, Text>Find or Cmd+F does nothing
  • If Find and Replace is docked, Text>Find or Cmd+F usually sets focus to the Find field but not always

With regard to the docked version of this bug, few bugs are truly intermittent so there is a certain sequence of steps that must be followed to trigger it. The obvious candidates are whether the studio panel is visible or not, which field in the panel last had focus, whether a different studio last had focus, which tool is selected, etc., but I've tried all of those and haven't been able to duplicate it on demand. I'll keep an eye out for the next time it happens and see if I can then come up with repeatable steps. Once we've figured this out we can move this to the Report a Bug forum.

Please take it to the bug forum, and let it be part of the bug to identify the exact steps for replication. It happens now and then, and I'm always afraid I will leave some of my own "search-text" as part of the document text, after using the Find panel, since I often immediately begin writing my search term after pressing Ctrl+F.

Pressing Enter to start a search is also very dangerous, since it sets focus to the word found, and a second press on enter replaces that word with a new line.