You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Washed out in preview and export HDR

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/21/2022 at 2:44 PM, Lee D said:

Can you provide your saved .afphoto file and confirm your export settings so I can check them.

Hi we are now 6th of march as I have made the efforts to provide you with what you have asked for . how about a bit of a response all ok with you I hope ? Regards Rob 

Hi Rob, 

great image 👍🏼

Editing RGB/32 images and converting / exporting has its challenges.

Using the 32 bit preview in “unmanaged”, the image looks good. Changing to “ICC” (In desktop: ICC Display Transform) gives a too bright results.

Generally, you should use “ICC” setting during edit to see how the exported image will look like.

This lets me assume that the RGB/32 version is gamma encoded instead of linear.

Depending on you edit process this can happen intentionally or by mistake.

You can easily convert with help of procedural texture filter.

R=R^2.2 

or R=^(1/2.2)

(same for B and G channel).

As you are using iPad, you need to create the PT filter on Desktop. To help you out here, I uploaded the corrected file. You can copy the layer named "Gamma 2.2" from the file I uploaded, and paste it into other files if required.

Image below: You see that the file looks good even if "ICC Display Transform" is active.

983144454_Screenshot2022-03-06at14_02_12.thumb.png.0bf626f510f728e60398272cfdeb758b.png

gamma.aftoolpresets Paul gamma 2.2.afphoto

Edited by NotMyFault

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

• 4 months later...

Hi Rob,

just for information: My name is not Paul 🤔 and i can’t see any other „Paul“ participation in this discussion. I was you who uploaded the paul.afphoto file, my only change was to add the procedural texture filter, and re-uploaded as as „Gamma 2.2 Paul.afphoto“.

Regarding you lates post: The original file contains lots of unbound color values (> 1.0). If you export them to e.g. jpg format, those values get clipped and possibly creating such ugly artifacts. You would need use additional adjustments, or the tone map persona, to reduce all color values into the SDR range.

I can‘t really tell what did go wrong in this case. We would need to know the actual edit steps (e.g. a screen recording would help, or an accurate log in text form) - and even more important, what do you want to actually achieve by editing it further?

Kind regards,

NotMyFault

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

Hello NotMyFault,

I downloaded the file you kindly posted and used this and then exported that is it.

I have uploaded the exported version  jpeg here, can you also upload your exported jpeg please (jpeg) So I may compare and then maybe I can see why the image is so different from the original posted above (scroll up).

My aim is to export what I see - I have for example watched video below. (note does not share final end result)

So in my case, the method to export HDR and what I see is not what I get.

If you have time why not make a video with voice over explaining to do this ?

Or write in here how to do this please in a ABC style please.

Above all if you have what you can see on the screen and export and have washed out colours.

I as a paid user, I would like to see an easier solution to achieve my end results.

Why make something difficult when it can be made easy.

Paul gamma 2.2.jpg

Ok, i had some strange results when trying to export while the document is in RGB/32 mode.

for best results:

1. convert document to RGB/16 mode
  2. export to jpeg with „high quality“ preset

find the resulting image attached.

Paul gamma 2.2.jpg

Yeah i couldn’t find a help entry, either.

But am i save to assume you found the function in the menu?

Document>Convert Format / ICC Profile.

https://affinity.help/photo/en-US.lproj/index.html?page=pages/Clr/ClrModels.html?title=Color models#

Hi Not my fault, yes I found the "Document>Convert Format / ICC Profile" many options to choose from.

I wonder which is best to choose, when sending the image to the printers.

With regards to the washed out colours, the answer I found by asking Paul Mudditt (thank you Paul )- tone mapping applied resolved the issues to all the HDR.

If you see image 22.jpg the glider and harness are incorrect, image AA is as it should be no issues. You may have to zoom in to see this.

Image "washed out.jpg is without tone mapping. GREG-AP.jpg is with tone mapping.

22.jpg

AA.jpg

washed-out.jpg

GREG-AP.jpg