You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How do I rotate canvas with a mouse and hotkeys?

Hello, there.

I'm really happy to update Photo and Designer 1.4, because I can rotate canvas at last! Using trackpad, I can rotate, and using menu (i.e. view>rotate right), I can also rotate.

However, I can't find rotate tool in tool bar and I couldn't find hotkeys to rotate canvas. How do I do it? Please tell me.

(I'm sorry for my bad English)

Hi

There isn't a 'Rotate Tool' in the toolbar, to rotate the canvas, in the View menu select Rotate Left or Rotate Right. The canvas will be rotated in 15 degree increments. From the same menu, select Reset Rotation to reset the canvas back to its original rotation.

There isn't already a shortcut for rotating the canvas but you can create your own. Just go into Preferences>Keyboard Shortcuts and in this window ensure you have the View menu selected. You will then be able to create a shortcut for rotating.

J

Hi JFisher.

Thank you for your close explanation.I understood how I organize keyboard shortcuts for rotating canvas. It will work for me well.

However, I also wanted to rotate canvas in the way like an Adobe Photoshop style. Precise speaking, you hold specific key (or keys) during left mouse button dragging to rotate canvas. Isn't it available on Affinity Photo and Designer? If they doesn't have the function, I'd like to request that function.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd like to second this request for a continuously rotatable canvas. 15 degree increments attached to left and right hot keys isn't nearly as useful as a simple rotate canvas tool like the one that's in Photoshop. This is pretty important for a lot of the retouching I do and I imagine it's even more important for any pixel based digital artists or people who do a lot of compositing work. Seems like this would be pretty easy to implement as well; I wonder how 15 degree increments were arrived at as being a good idea. I've read elsewhere that everything in Affinity Photo is rotation / angle independent so it can't be some sort of strange technical limitation.

Update on this. I was playing with my Intuos Pro in the Affinity Photo Beta today and as it turns out it supports touch ring rotation. I don't know what hot key this is using as it just says "Rotate" and no hot key is set in Affinity. This is great news! I just wish it was documented somewhere or that someone had mentioned it previously. Thanks anonymous developer who did this somewhere along the line!

• 4 years later...
  • 6 months later...

I don't even know why I can rotate the canvas in such small steps. I only need to rotate it in steps of 90 degrees. I'm working on a foldable flyer and some of the content is upside down. That's pretty hard to edit so I rotate the view. But usually you only rotate a piece of paper by multiples of 90 degrees… If it would make bigger steps, a keyboard shortcut wouldn't be so important. But clicking the same menu command repeatedly is really annoying.

BTW, Acrobat Reader has toolbar buttons for that. These can be really helpful. (They swapped the order of both rotate buttons so that they're pretty unintuitive to use, but at least they're there. I guess there's not much more to expect from Adobe.)

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, apara said:

you can rotate the canvas by holding the command key and sliding two fingers on Macs trackpad.

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums, @apara.

This was an old discussion, and some things have changed since it was started. In addition to what you mentioned, it is now possible to rotate the canvas view using Alt+scrollwheel on Windows (perhaps Opt+scrollwheel on Mac). That can be enabled or disabled in Preferences / Tools.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 1 year later...

Still would be useful to have something like Photoshop. I find myself stuck when using tablet. I can't ALT + scroll since my pen doest have a scroll wheel. And if I use mouse I don't need ALT + Scroll since I can just use other keyboard shortcuts. Please add an option to R + Drag with a pen 🙏