You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Flood Select Tool Add Mode shortcut

@iconoclastThanks. Ya Sorry I meant holding control click will add for me using flood select tool (magic wand). But how can I customize it so that im clicking SHIFT CLICK instead of CONTROL CLICK to add? Im used to SHIFT as add in photoshop. I can’t find it in shortcut presets. Please show me a screenshot of where it is. Im on a macbook btw. Thanks!

Edited by BrendaLi

Unfortunately, I don't think there is any way to change it to what you want. I don't use Photoshop but even so, it certainly makes more sense to me that to add to the selection the shortcut should use the Shift key, since just about everywhere else Shift is used to add things to the selection.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Yes, you are right, sorry! I had the selection brush in mind. There doesn't seem to be an opportunity to set a shortkey for adding, subtracting and overlapping selections, like in Photoshop or even GIMP. Only those small buttons in the context bar. Could be a case for the "Feature Requests and Suggestions".

With the flood selection tool selected, look at the top-left and you'll see Mode; to the right of Mode, select the "add icon" (the second icon). Now it will automatically add to a selection and you don't even have to use the shift key. Unfortunately, after you select another tool, it resets the mode back to "New". I do wish we had the control to adjust "Mode" to our liking.

Also, in the "add mode", if you need to subtract from your selection, you can use the Alt key to subtract instead of clicking the subtract icon. Hope that is helpful. BTW, I am on a PC, but I imagine the Mac has the same layout and features :)

-Joey

• 1 year later...
53 minutes ago, Joachim Otahal said:

I just came here so see: Oh my. Affinity missed an important detail - again. I hope they will add it soon. Switching between add/subtract by clicking buttons is not really elegant.

What about holding "Alt" to subtract? Works for me.

1 hour ago, iconoclast said:

What about holding "Alt" to subtract? Works for me.

That is not the topic, I don't get why you mention this already mentioned thing.

In detail: I have a picture where a lot of area has to be selected to be blurred. But that ares is roughly the same color, but loosely structured and in some parts close to the area not to be selected.

Your approach would be "add" and then subtract the part which I don't want to blur which is very detailed, and would need a huge amount of time. I simply switched back to Photoshop CS6 (yep, that old!) and did it there withing 10 seconds for the rough selection, and less than a minute for refinement. Doing it your way would have cost me more than ten Minutes of fiddling around.

Here the result picture, if your want to try. Select the grey area and blur. If you set the sensitivity to 7% you have the same Affinity behaviour as it was before blurring. Sorry, I already killed the original, since it was just for a "Facebook give away free" group since those soups are not my taste.

IMG_20230319_142205.jpg