You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How would I come up with a bead and a chain?

Hi,

Yes, I want to make a rosary.  Any suggestions how I can come up with good looking colored "glossy" beads, maybe with a highlight on them (like the light was coming from a certain direction - whatever makes them sort of realistic).  And a chain to connect them.  I assume making both a stamp would be a good idea.

Here is one idea in addition to starting from scratch - I have some items from Artifex Forge that I could use:  Stained Glass and Mosaic.  Jeremy seems like such a nice guy, very talented, and certainly has carved a unique niche for himself!

Any ideas? 

Thanks!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Then you didn't searched the right way! - A pearl is similar in shape to a sphere or ball, just with maybe slightly different lightning on it's surface.

Further look for a bunch of Styles (glossy, shiny, gold, siver, jade etc. etc.) available here in the forums ressource section, which you can apply on rounded surfaces/shapes then.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

1. Draw a coloured circle:

Bead-1.png.427805804ccbad79ff51854b594002cd.png

2. Apply a radial gradient fill to make it look 3D:

Bead-2.png.adc8aef1189bbedf637e9519cd90948a.png

3. Add a white circle with radial transparency for the highlight:

Bead-3.png.0f15afda526802336996629ee83af692.png

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

3 hours ago, v_kyr said:

Then you didn't searched the right way! - A pearl is similar in shape to a sphere or ball, just with maybe slightly different lightning on it's surface.

Further look for a bunch of Styles (glossy, shiny, gold, siver, jade etc. etc.) available here in the forums ressource section, which you can apply on rounded surfaces/shapes then.

All righty then!  I am going to check those all out for sure tomorrow!  I don't know of any fellow Catholic parishioners that have pearls instead of beads on their Rosary.  Maybe some do but they keep them to themselves 🙂

Here's my idea on creating beads and chains.

I used the Doughnut Tool to make the chain, making it thin. Then converted to curve, then squeezed the sides in. I also skewed it to make it fit attaching to an adjoining link.

beads and chain.jpg

beads and chain.afdesign

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

12 hours ago, filoplume said:

I don't know of any fellow Catholic parishioners that have pearls instead of beads on their Rosary.  Maybe some do but they keep them to themselves 🙂

Can't tell for Catholic parishioners, but orthodox people use slightly other things here ...

chapelet-orthodoxe-en-rayonne-33-grains.jpg.b9a0a502808c2db3fc260a847c9f4878.jpg

... as do men which play with sort of worry beads/rosary instead (called "κομπολόι" in greek) ...

worrybeads2.jpg.ebaf3a58fc7574db410f663096b0e227.jpg

It's easy, you can also look here at that link below, the text of which steps to take is translated to english via Google translate, screenshots are still in APh german. But I'm sure you will get it also from those then ...

Also what @Alfred showed above is easily done in Designer or Photo with two circles and two gradient fills, or even with just one circle and one radial gradient!

3 hours ago, v_kyr said:

It's easy, you can also look here at that link below, the text of which steps to take is translated to english via Google translate, screenshots are still in APh german. But I'm sure you will get it also from those then ...

Also what @Alfred showed above is easily done in Designer or Photo with two circles and two gradient fills, or even with just one circle and one radial gradient!

Lost me at step 4.  There is no gear icon. Just the one next to opacity, normal,...  I assume he means Inner shadow effect.  I add the same measurements as he did.  I do not get the 2nd image with the white 

2021-12-30_21-28-54.jpg

6 hours ago, filoplume said:

Lost me at step 4.  There is no gear icon.

The gear icon is only there if it isn't a floating panel, thus if the panel is anchored inside the panel area. Clicking on the gear then makes it a floating FX-panel!

gear-icon.jpg.92768ef17aff6c1d8eff2a744ed5e757.jpg

6 hours ago, filoplume said:

I assume he means Inner shadow effect.  I add the same measurements as he did.  I do not get the 2nd image with the white 

Yes, inner shadow! - You probably didn't changed the FX layer mode to "normal" then for the inner shadow fx effect ...

layer-mode-fx.jpg.2ebea95593df33ded9f047482828ed06.jpg

... do that and it should afterwards look like I showed in above screenshot!

25 minutes ago, filoplume said:

No gear (panel is not floating) and no effect.

Close the floating gear panel. - Then go to the palettes and switch from the "layers" tab to the "Effects" tab, there on the Effects tab is the gear then, as far as you don't have any floating Effects panel open!

AD test-file:

Cick on this arrow (I show it green here)  "-> [X] Inner Shadow"  and look thereafter the panel is opened top right on the opened panel!

4 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

Cick on this arrow (I show it green here)  "-> [X] Inner Shadow"  and look thereafter the panel is opened top right on the opened panel!

You are right!!  I see it now.  It just brings up the same panel as using the Fx icon from the layers panel or Fx next to the Ellipse layer.

I think I have the *exact* settings for the Inner Shadow Layer Effects but do not see what is in the tutorial or in you Designer file.

2021-12-31_10-48-51.jpg

In Photo set the "Ellipse layer" (after the FX settings and there layer mode normal) afterwards in the layers panel to "multiply"!

Looks like the guy who made the article forgotten to mention that step!