You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×
Our response time is longer than usual currently. We're working to answer users as quickly as possible and thank you for your continued patience.

Creating a "Stroke" outline

Obviously I've been not only trying to find inside the Affinity Photo 2 program "the way" of doing this, but I've also been googling as well. Based on results found in the forum here, such as this, it's apparently not doable in the Affinity Photo 2 program to apply a stroke to some selected pixelsThe link I just shared offers a hack type workaround. Given the sophistication of the the Affinity Photo 2 program, it's surprising that something so simple is not present or doable. The program does not need to be Photoshop, but should be easy to learn to use. Respectfully, this is not that. 🙂  

5 minutes ago, Doug Joseph, Design8Studio said:

Thanks but that's not helpful in the least.

The goal of my post was not to help with a question not even asked at the time, but to respond to your problem mentioned here "This illustration would be helpful except it does not show how to get to the screen with the stroke options. None of the options shown are visible to me.", see also your citation in my posts.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

12 minutes ago, Doug Joseph, Design8Studio said:

Thanks but that's not helpful in the least.

To pose the question in other words (to anyone who is willing to help):

How do I apply a stroke to some selected pixels? 

You mean the option to convert a pixel selection into a stroke (like you can do e.g. in GIMP by converting the selection into a path, that can be traced then)? This option doesn't exist in Affinity Photo as far as I know. As far as I remember this topic already has been discussed somewhen somewhere in this forums. Could be a candidate for the Feature Requests.

6 minutes ago, iconoclast said:

Could be a candidate for the Feature Requests.

Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

16 minutes ago, Doug Joseph, Design8Studio said:

How do I apply a stroke to some selected pixels?

I’ve attached a video showing one method that is currently available; there are probably others.
(You may not need to do all of this if you already have the pixel selection.)

As Pšenda said above, you have been using the wrong tool to do what you want to do and that’s probably what caused some of the confusion.

13 minutes ago, GarryP said:

I’ve attached a video showing one method that is currently available; there are probably others.
(You may not need to do all of this if you already have the pixel selection.)

As Pšenda said above, you have been using the wrong tool to do what you want to do and that’s probably what caused some of the confusion.

That's of course a nice workflow, but the option e.g. GIMP offers is much easier and more flexible. Simply convert the selection into a vector path (step 1) and then trace the path (step 2). In the second step you can also define the stroke thickness. And if you want to change the thickness of the stroke, you still have the vector path to trace it again with another thickness or even with brush strokes.

I think it is not one of the most important options for an image editing software. But it is sometimes nice to have it.

29 minutes ago, iconoclast said:

Simply convert the selection into a vector path

Since ASuite does not yet have the Autotrace function, i.e. the conversion of pixels to a vector path, it is quite clear that it does not have the function to convert the selection pixels to a vector path either. When he has the Autotrace function, I assume that it will also add this selection conversion function.
The only question is whether it will really implement the Autotrace function - given the complexity and progress in this area (see AI), or whether it will not go the way of plugins/scripts that are already being worked on.

6 minutes ago, Pšenda said:

Since ASuite does not yet have the Autotrace function, i.e. the conversion of pixels to a vector path, it is quite clear that it does not have the function to convert the selection pixels to a vector path either. When he has the Autotrace function, I assume that it will also add this selection conversion function.
The only question is whether it will really implement the Autotrace function - given the complexity and progress in this area (see AI), or whether it will not go the way of plugins/scripts that are already being worked on.

That has nothing to do with autotracing. GIMP doesn't offer autotracing (like e.g. Inkscape) too. Autotracing means to convert pixels into vector pathes. But GIMP only converts the selection - the marching ants - into a vector path. And it has the option to trace this vector path with a pixel based stroke of arbitrary thickness or even with a brush stroke.

2 hours ago, iconoclast said:

Autotracing means to convert pixels into vector pathes.

2 hours ago, iconoclast said:

only converts the selection - the marching ants - into a vector path.

And what is converting pixel selection (interpreted by marching ants) than converting pixels to vector path? Of course, in a very simple form, because it is a clearly defined contour route, but it is still a vectorization.

20 minutes ago, Pšenda said:

And what is converting pixel selection (interpreted by marching ants) than converting pixels to vector path? Of course, in a very simple form, because it is a clearly defined contour route, but it is still a vectorization.

Yes, but, as I said, it doesn't convert pixels into pathes, but only the selections. And vice versa. It's the same, by the way, in Photoshop. I personally don't know any image editing program that has an option for autotracing. That's usually a function in vector graphics software.

Initially, this opportunity to convert selections into pathes and pathes into selections was made for composings, I think. To release image objects from their backgrounds. The opportunity to use it for outlines is rather a gimmick, I think.