You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Photo and Publisher crashing every few minutes

Today I have tried to use Publisher and Photo for the first time in a while, but they crash, freeze or hang every few minutes. I haven't tried using Designer today, so I don't know how that would behave. I am running them on Windows 10 21H1 and using version 1.10.4 of both applications.

Publisher crashed a couple of times while I was trying to open the print dialogue, and another time when I was trying to open a file. It also froze and refused to terminate when I selected "exit". I don't remember all the other crashes. The project I was working on was a trivially simple single sheet with a little text.

And then this evening I have found that Photo is similarly unstable. It hung when I tried to open an afphoto project and crashed when I tried to open an image from the clipboard as a project. There was another crash that I don't remember the circumstances of. And all this was probably within the space of 20 minutes.

HW Acceleration off? 

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

Ive been struggling with multiple crashes. On saving, with various dialog boxes. Also the display distorts, but will display whatever am hovering mouse hover (a tool, a menu name or item. 

Is it a file size capacity problem?

• File size: 96 MB
  • Primarily comprised of linked PDFs (sheet music)
  • Acceleration off
  • Bilinear View quality
  • Automatic Retina Rendering
  • 22 GB ram

System

• Windows 10, 21H2
  • Intel i7-10700KF
  • NVidia GeForce RTX 2060
  • 32GB DDR4 RAM
  • 620GB free space on SSD storage
  •  

Affinity 1.10.1.1142 (downgraded to last functioning version after 1.10.4 simply couldn't operate with this file. 

Try going to Preferences>Performance, down at the bottom is the HA (Hardware Acceleration), OpenCL compute checked (Enabled). IF so uncheck it, restart Affinity and see if the crashing stops.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

12 minutes ago, Ron P. said:

Try going to Preferences>Performance, down at the bottom is the HA (Hardware Acceleration), OpenCL compute checked (Enabled). IF so uncheck it, restart Affinity and see if the crashing stops.

It has been unchecked. 

Just ran the updater to 1.10.3. Now the document wont load at all.

5 minutes ago, christinejump said:

It has been unchecked. 

Just ran the updater to 1.10.3. Now the document wont load at all.

The Devs provide some information on possible causes here:

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

4 hours ago, christinejump said:

Also the display distorts, but will display whatever am hovering mouse hover (a tool, a menu name or item. 

That could be this (a screenshot would be nice, if not)

ASUS Sonic / ASUS GPU Tweak III / MSI Nahimic
Problem: User Interface elements can disappear or appear stretched
Cause: ASUS Sonic / ASUS GPU Tweak III / MSI Nahimic interferes with Direct3D9 renderering.
Detection: Check if Nahimic is running as an active Windows Service. Kill the service and see if the problem temporarily stops
Solution: Start the application with --no-hw-ui flag, or stop the software (this won't affect the driver or functionality of the sound card)
https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/49247-16089-issues-tabs-vanishing/&do=findComment&comment=249809
User Provided solution (not verified by our developers): https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/147155-ui-elements-disappearing-on-hover-publisher-19-110/&do=findComment&comment=822640

Follow these instructions to see if Nahimic is installed on your PC

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.