You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Color separation for flexography with Affinity Designer for Mac

Maybe is right in my face, but any help will be appreciated it. I've been doing Graphic Design since 1992 and since I let go Adobe software and went full Affinity Suite I'm learning how to do stuff faster than never in my life! For example, when a client wants an EPS or illustrator file for color separation for t-shirt printing I usually select the paths by color convert them in one curve element and when all the colors were separated by layers I exported them individually with press ready settings and their printing marks accordingly. Now with the export persona feature it seems I can do that with one click, and I'm getting the same mistake on every try. I need to have all colors with the same page size so when they are stacked together they will get the final print that they're looking for. Is there a way to have the export files in the same page size? If there isn't, I can do it the old school with no problem. Thanks in advance.

CleanShot 2021-12-02 at 13.53.59.jpg

See my comics: dearmascomics.com

Heard my Radio Show: mimegaradio.com

Ask for my services: albertkinng.com

My very slow work around uses a Rectangle the size of the output or the canvas in this case as a clipping mask for each of the items.

test.afdesign

354803752_ScreenShot2021-12-03at6_52_35AM.png.4dba731f0677f13c8435d39091fd5ecc.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

34 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

My very slow work around uses a Rectangle the size of the output or the canvas in this case as a clipping mask for each of the items.

test.afdesign

354803752_ScreenShot2021-12-03at6_52_35AM.png.4dba731f0677f13c8435d39091fd5ecc.png

But you need to name each color individually right? Or all of them name themselves automatically at output?

39 minutes ago, albertkinng said:

But you need to name each color individually right? Or all of them name themselves automatically at output?

I named them as I made them in the Designer persona so as to have their names obvious. No names will give you Slice1, Slice2 etc. automatically when you go to the Export persona.

Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I ask because (if you watch the video attached) it doesn’t let me have all the slices individually. If I do that the export persona treats each slice as an independent file. I need all of them same size. Again, I managed to do that manually but I was expecting do a bulk in one click.

I used the clipping paths that I made in the Designer persona to create the proper same sized areas. Then I went to the Export Persona and just made Slices from Layers and export at one go. 

The trick is to make a rectangle in the Designer persona of the proper size, then duplicate it x times and use those copies to clip each item. Look at how I have the document made in the Designer persona.

On 12/2/2021 at 7:59 PM, albertkinng said:

I need to have all colors with the same page size so when they are stacked together they will get the final print that they're looking for. Is there a way to have the export files in the same page size?

It could work if you place each item/colour on a separate artboard while the artboards have all identical size and are placed on top of each other.

1454466808_artboardsseparation.jpg.ef85b4d406b0011baa9617be82b09ac7.jpg

On 12/2/2021 at 8:20 PM, albertkinng said:

I managed to find a way but it needs to named the files and export them manually... I'm pretty sure a better way to this all at once is available.

All at once with PDF. I could not find a way to export as EPS with print marks included. How did you get them in your examples?

1811403170_artboardsseparationpdf1-4.jpg.f53b7dfb77def4f9c315d571303cf73d.jpg    artboards separation 1-4.pdf

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1