You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Resolution of some parts of graphic (Blurry)

The thing is too tiny. The text for the labels, green ones, is less than 4 pixels in height. No way that is going to be legible.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

9 minutes ago, BofG said:

Make it larger so the desired "zoomed in" view is the 100% size and to see the whole thing you have to zoom out.

Do you mean the whole document? If so, I have a separate document for that purpose. This is UK Wide. 

12 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

The thing is too tiny. The text for the labels, green ones, is less than 4 pixels in height. No way that is going to be legible.

I appreciate that I may need to make the A roads (green) and Motorways (blue) icons bigger but that doesn't help with the map and town names being blurred when zoomed into an exported .jpg file.

The Text is too tiny and therefore blurred. The whole thing is too tiny. JPEG will add JPEG artifacts which make things look blurred. Don't zoom in, view at 100%.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

You'll probably need to make it huge so everything is readable, then save as a .png ... which should, in theory, have a smaller filesize than a jpeg as you are using flat colour as opposed to photographic content, and flat colours with a .png often make a much smaller filesize as png is a palleted system. Saying that I don't know if .png files are compatible with the social media platforms - worth a look though.

• Staff

Hi @Mark Clifford,
I'm afraid the maximum sizes allowed by these social media services are not large enough to display your image with the map/text clearly legible. It's too much detail for an image that will be exported at just 1600x1300 pixels. In Designer you can zoom in and see everything clearly because all is composed by vector objects but when exported to a specific raster size it will only be sharp/legible when the image is viewed at 100% (zoom). Less than that the image becomes blurred, more than that and it becomes pixelated. 

While working in Designer in documents which will be exported at the same size as the document always check your design at 100% zoom and also enable Pixel view mode or Retina pixel view mode (if you are using a high def/retina display) in the main toolbar so you can have a precise idea how the document will look after the export/rasterization process. If you open you file, set the zoom to 100% and enable Pixel view mode you can see that the map/text is not legible. Even the smaller text on the bottom right above the SnowWatch logo already suffers a bit with the rasterization. You should always design with these limitations in mind if you must export to a raster format.