You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How do you remove an Art-Text border

In the process of cutting and pasting some Art-text objects/layers, a border has been added to the container/box that I didn't put it there and don't want.

Adjusting Stroke or Color changes the text INSIDE the box, but NOT the box around the object/layer.

For example, reducing the "Stroke" from 0.2 pt to 0.0 pt takes off the edge of the letters in the text but doesn't affect the border around the box that is the object/layer.

Changing the "Stroke"'s color or transparency/opacity changes the color of of the edge of the font, but the box's border.

Help!!!

(Can't send the file, but attached is a screen shot.)

BONUS QUESTION: Sometimes when working with objects, the box has little 'x's instead of handles. What's going on???

Border Around object.PNG

It would help to have one of those objects selected, as more information would be available via the Context Toolbar. But perhaps still not enough. So, instead, with one of the objects selected, and the cursor in the text, please look at the Paragraph panel, and see what decorations are applied. It looks like you may have them all applied, as below, which could be done manually or by applying the Paragraph Text Style named Box:

image.png.a5f026060d64640156ced59536c8360d.png

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I found it! I did not realize there is a "Text Frame" panel (weird IMHO, but OK...)

It is curious that when cutting-and-pasting, when the original did not have a border that the program added a border around it. A bug??

Thanks!

Todd

(Sorry, I can't seem to delete the uploaded image I added before finding the solution)

border problem2.PNG

23 minutes ago, comancheTodd said:

It is curious that when cutting-and-pasting, when the original did not have a border that the program added a border around it. A bug??

Hard to say if it's a bug without seeing more info, or the actual .afpub document, and knowing what you copied/pasted and where you copied it from.

Congratulations on figuring it out, though.................

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

You could create a duplicate of the document and in the duplicate delete all pages except the troublesome page and upload it here.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.4.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

OK, here you go. The border was added when I copied the SUBTITLE ("Book One of the...") on the title page from another book, and adapted it and placed it here. I also copied and pasted the TITLE ("The Tale of Telsharu") on the title page from another place in the book. After pasting, both had a 0.3 pt border around the boxes, black or very dark gray.

FYI, after I figured out how to remove the border and cleaned them both up, I also copied the main TITLE and resized it for the two half-title pages (i and xiii, both unnumbered) and had no problem.

Todd

SvnE3-1.afpub

9 hours ago, comancheTodd said:

The border was added when I copied the SUBTITLE ("Book One of the...") on the title page from another book

It might be interesting to look at that page, too, if you can also provide it.

-- Walt
PC:

• 1 year later...
On 11/8/2021 at 9:13 PM, comancheTodd said:

I found it! I did not realize there is a "Text Frame" panel (weird IMHO, but OK...)

Thanks!

Todd

(Sorry, I can't seem to delete the uploaded image I added before finding the solution)

Had this same problem, anyone using affinity publisher 2, go to window and search down for text frame.

image.thumb.png.f3a4cf25b15144e4c2d2cb6b2b8ae74a.png

• 3 months later...

Faced the same problem in Publisher. First, I added a border to a table. For some strange reason, that same border (color and thickness) was also applied to my Artistic text frame. Thanks to commanche Todd for leading me to the text frame. 

But the question still remains as to why setting applied to Table Borders is automatically applied to Text Frames.

• 6 months later...
2 hours ago, drik said:

but a line border is there.

If you're talking about the blue frame around the top text, that's probably View > Show Text Flow.

-- Walt
PC:

• 1 month later...

Problem came back again, but this time it is a thick border around a new default text and Show text flow is not the problem.

My solution is to just go Edit->Defaults->Factory Reset.

Hope that helps.

• 3 months later...

Paragraph - Decoration did not work for me but Text Frame did. My problem developed when I opened an APub 1 doc in APub 2 and added a new art text. The original art text does not have text borders but the new art text does. Thanks for the solution.

Designing, Arting, Writing, Crafting, Lover of the Creative Life

1610156076_ACDSLogoSignature300x85.jpg.c89db6d14f97a9fa918b538f50ce769d.jpg

Linktr.ee