You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Unable to Authorize Batch Job with multiple logical volumes

ErikA310

Hi there,

I'm trying to apply a macro to a set of PNG files. Unfortunately, even though selectable in the file selector, the wizard will not enable the OK button if I select a set of PNG files. The Affinity Photo Help does not list any limitations wrt the supported file formats.

So I'm asking into the round, is PNG not supported as file input for batch jobs, is it a known, current limitation or even a bug? Or is the user the problem ;-)
Any help is appreciated,

Thx and best regards,
Erik

Edited by ErikA310

44 minutes ago, ErikA310 said:

is PNG not supported as file input for batch jobs

Yes, they are supported

Are you on a MAC?

I think there is some sort of "authorise?" button on a MAC you have to do something with before the OK button is actionable

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

It's some sort of button on the Affinity Batch Job screen (not the OS)

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Thx. I'm aware of the button. If the label is (placed) correct it manages only the authorization for the output directory. One info might be missing. I wanted to use the Output option 'Save into original location'. With this option set I used the Authorize... button and specified the directoy where the files are coming from and should be stored in. This didn't help.

So, after playing around, I found a workaround.

• In Output section I set 'Save into: <directory>'.
  • I select the same directory from where the files are coming as the output directory.
  • For the sake of completeness I used 'Authorize...' on the output directory

'OK' button becomes enabled and the batch job could be run.

It still sounds like a glitch/bug to me that the 'Save into original location' does not enable the 'OK'. Do I have to file this officially as a bug or will someone from support/devs will pick this from here?

Thx and best regards,
Erik

Edited by ErikA310
Typos + clarification

25 minutes ago, ErikA310 said:

It still sounds like a glitch/bug to me that the 'Save into original location' does not enable the 'OK'. Do I have to file this officially as a bug or will someone from support/devs will pick this from here?

Seems to me that should be reported as a bug, I have had bad results with 'Save into original location' at times and have just given up using it in Batch.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• Staff

Unless we're all missing something, this does seem a little broken.

On Windows, you just load your images in and the OK button is good to go. I'll query this with dev.

*Update* We have to authorise the entire HDD. Once I did that, I can click OK.

@Chris B

I just performed a retest, failed:

• Affinity Photo is not listed at all in the Security & Privacy > Privacy  preference panel (Files/Folder | Full disk access)
    Affinity Photo is installed via Mac OS App Store
  • Selected the images from the source location
  • Selected 'Output' to be 'Save into original location'
  • Used "Authorize..." and selected the 'logical' volume on my external drive, which hosts the files
  • Button 'OK' is not being enabled

Not sure how to authorise the entire HDD... if it is split up into 3 logical drives.

Edited by ErikA310

• Staff

Hi ErikA310,

Do you have the app installed on a different logical drive to the location of the source images?

You should just be able to click the Authroize button straight away and then click Authroise - AFAIK you should not need to navigate anywhere because your authrorizing the entire Macintosh HD - I cannot set up any logical volumes to test as it says it will freeze the Mac for minutes or hours 😅

Hi Chris B,

yes. The app is installed via MacOS App Store into main drive of my Mac. Data/Images are only stored on an external drive.

Hmm... still not sure how to apply this correctly. It only works if I select a location. And Affinity Photo even looses the authorization between two session. If I close and re-open I have to authorize the same location/volume again. That is pretty strange.

Cheers, Erik

8 hours ago, ErikA310 said:
  • Used "Authorize..." and selected the 'logical' volume on my external drive, which hosts the files

Do I understand correctly that you have a hard drive divided into more than one partition? Or is it a RAID drive?

Don't really have any advice, just curious. I haven't used partitioned drives for a very long time. RAID works fine for me.

Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

Do I understand correctly that you have a hard drive divided into more than one partition? Or is it a RAID drive?

Yes. I do have an external drive partitioned into 3 logical volumes separating regular documents, software development projects and one with a local build and integration infrastructure. It ia a 1TB m2 samsung ssd in an icybox exernal case IB-1817M-C31. Fast enough for my needs and no RAID needed.

9 minutes ago, ErikA310 said:

I do have an external drive partitioned into 3 logical volumes

I would guess that this partitioning is the source of the problem. Perhaps start a new topic called Problem Authorizing Partitioned Drive or some such to see if anyone with a similar setup could help out. 

Thank you for the recording Chris B!

This is comparable to what I do, but with an external drive with 3 logical volumes. Please let me know what you would require in terms of more technical details for the exchange with the dev team. Type of connection, Paritioning info... jada jada.

Should I record how it looks like on my end and share?

Considering Old Bruce's input... is it possible for me/you to change the topic of this thread?

Best regards,
Erik

• Staff

I'll get something similar setup (external drive with a few volumes) and debug - I imagine this might need to go to the developers if I cannot find you a solution. I'll try and get this set up ASAP.

Can we have a screenshot of your Disk Utility setup to make sure we can match it exactly?

Sorry @Chris B. I missed your request in your last reply.

I don't know exactly what type of screenshot would give you the right overview in DiskUtility; please let me know.

Instead I will share already a view using the System Information view.

Screenshot 2021-10-19 at 13.45.32.png

CRBS/Data/Developer are partitions on the external drive (connected via USB 3.1 Gen 1). System HD is the internal SSD with 2 Logical Volumes (System HD - Data and High Sierra)

Regards,
Erik

• 1 month later...