You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

1.10.2.1167: Problem typing colour values for text styles

I have a problem with typing colour values directly into the colour picker dialog when editing or creating a text style in the Text Style Studio:

1) Create a new or Edit an existing text style

2) Select Character: Colour & Decorations

3) Click on either Text fill of Highlight

4) You are unable to type values in the dialog (only the sliders work)

Thanks, J

• Staff

Hi both. 

11 minutes ago, Hens said:

This is just the applied style settings info, not an entry field.
Only the sliders will work for this.

That's not correct. Numeric input should work in those fields. I'll get this logged with our developers. 

24 minutes ago, Gabe said:

Hi both. 

That's not correct. Numeric input should work in those fields. I'll get this logged with our developers. 

Thanks Gabe

37 minutes ago, Hens said:

Do you mean the style settings field at the bottom of the panel?

No, I mean in the colour picker dialogue that opens when you are creating a new style or editing a style under Edit Text Style->Character->Colour & Decorations. If you try and edit 'Text Fill' or 'Highlight' colours, a colour picker opens but you can't type values in the numeric fields. Pic of dialogue shown below.

Thanks for getting it logged,J

1671990029_Screenshot2021-10-08at12_51_34pm.png.590c699ecfadba1cf0ce9a4936e23e5c.png

6 minutes ago, Hens said:

I can but it is bugging sometime with the numeric pad on certain fields
Did you try with the real keyboard numbers
I'm on windows though,it might be os related

I think it must be MacOs specific then (I'm running Big Sur 11.6, if that's relevant).

Neither the 'real' numeric keys nor the numeric keypad work in the dialogue above in Text Styles studio. Numeric values can be entered in the colour picker when it opens elsewhere (e.g. via the Tables studio Frame->Fill). It's just the Text Styles panel that has the problem.

J

48 minutes ago, JSewell said:

I think it must be MacOs specific then (I'm running Big Sur 11.6, if that's relevant).

As am I and I have reported this behaviour before.

I would like to know if you can exit the fields by using the escape key or the enter or enter key when you are in various number entry fields. I get stuck in them and have to click outside again, real time waster bit of frustration.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

2 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

As am I and I have reported this behaviour before.

I would like to know if you can exit the fields by using the escape key or the enter or enter key when you are in various number entry fields. I get stuck in them and have to click outside again, real time waster bit of frustration.

For the colour picker dialogs opened from the Text Styles studio as shown above:

No keyboard entry works (Numbers, Tab, Esc or Return)

For other colour pickers (I've only tested dialogues from the Text Frame and Table studios):

Tab key - First press takes me to the first editable field. Subsequent presses cycles through the others. If a field value is changed, pressing the tab key accepts the value and advances to the next editable field.

Return Key - Accepts the new value typed in that field. Dialogue stays open, with no editable field selected (i.e. it doesn't advance to the next field, unlike the tab key)

Esc key - Closes the dialogue

J

I have difficulty with; put in a value Tab  to the next field, put in a value and then Enter to set the second value and exit the field. The value is accepted but I get a system beep, the escape key does not get me out of it either. I can use the Enter or Return key to exit only if I put in a value in only one field and do not tab to a second field. The same difficulty is present with values in the Context toolbar for various tools.

In Publisher I cannot tab between fields in the Text Frame panel, for example the width of columns, Tab enters the value and exits.

It is as though at some point all the little numeric fields were rewritten and something was missed to allow exiting and or tabbing between fields.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Staff

The issue "[macOS] Text Style Panel - numeric entry for colour values in sliders not possible" (REF: AF-204) has been fixed by the developers in internal build "2.3.0.2083".
This fix should soon be available as a customer beta and is planned for inclusion in the next customer release.
Customer beta builds are announced here and you can participate by following these instructions.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Serif Info Bot to notify us.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.