You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Drag and Drop Pictures directly from Browser to Affinity Designer's Document

1 minute ago, walt.farrell said:

But where is it while you're dragging it?

Same place it was before we started dragging it. On the webpage displayed in the browser window.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

4 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

Same place it was before we started dragging it. On the webpage displayed in the browser window.

And during the transfer from that browser window into Affinity? Did it go through the file system, or through the clipboard? Or is there some other data transfer mechanism involved with drag/drop? The key point is that unless something put it into the file system, it can't end up Linked in the Affinity application.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

2 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

? Or is there some other data transfer mechanism involved with drag/drop?

I would guess a pointer to the web page.

Where is the stuff on this webpage that you are viewing? You do not have a copy of my avatar on your system.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

11 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Yes, once the drag has completed, it's in the Affinity document (for you, on Mac). But where is it while you're dragging it? If it's not in the file system at that point, there's no way for the Affinity application to Link to it. It would have to Embed it.

It does not exist as a separate file anywhere in the file system during the drag; it is just an element of the open web page, stored wherever that browser puts those elements. I'm just guessing but I think that probably is in the browser's data cache.

Regardless, the main point here is that the Mac Affinity apps ignore the image placement policy & always embed the image. I don't know if that is the same for Windows, but I gather it is not.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

18 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Regardless, the main point here is that the Mac Affinity apps ignore the image placement policy & always embed the image. I don't know if that is the same for Windows, but I gather it is not.

On Windows, the dragged file seems to exist as a file in the file system, and therefore there is something to link to.

On Mac, the dragged file may not exist as a file in the file system, and if that's true then there is nothing to link to, and therefore the application must embed the file.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

• 7 months later...
On 9/19/2021 at 12:23 PM, Roya said:

it is possible to Drag and Drop Pictures directly from the Browser to an Affinity Designer's Document

How?

When I drag and drop an image from a browser into Affinity Designer, it just pops in a text box with the link.

Sorry, I didn't read the whole conversation.Rh0LwLHxU8xsHix5HWhOqqWgH6-rM2hhHAfvuYzH

4 minutes ago, der_ein_Lauch said:

When I drag and drop an image from a browser into Affinity Designer, it just pops in a text box with the link.

It never does that for me, using Firefox on Windows 10. What browser and what version of Windows are you using?

-- Walt
PC: