You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo - replacing missing fonts?

Is a there a facility to replace missing fonts in AF? I'm sure I've seen a reference to a Font Manager option which shows a list of the fonts used, those that are missing, and a drop-down for choosing a new font to replace missing ones, but I'm damned if I can find it now.

I know there is an option in the Fonts palette to show missing fonts, but that doesn't permit changing them. And hunting through the file layer by layer to track down the one that's missing is slow and clumsy.

Any suggestions?

There is a Font Manager but I can't recall which menu has it listed so use the online help function to find it. The Font Manager will show one instance of each missing font, but if you click on it you will be taken to the page with the text selected and you can change it then click on the font again and you'll go to the next page. Better to use Paragraph and Character Styles and just change the font there so the change will be permanent.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• Staff

Hi @colindun,

Unfortunately AFAIK 'Font Manager' is only available in Publisher currently - Affinity Photo / Designer will warn you of the missing fonts when opening your document, but you are not offered a 'Replace' dialog here, my apologies.

Do you by chance have Affinity Publisher?

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• Staff

Thanks for letting me know!

If there's only a few documents where you need to replace these fonts, you could consider installing Publisher for the 10 day free trial - where you could load your .afphoto file directly, replace the fonts and then return to Photo to continue editing?

https://affinity.serif.com/publisher/trial

Otherwise, I'll be sure to add a 'vote' to bringing this feature to Photo :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• 1 month later...
On 9/8/2021 at 1:46 AM, Dan C said:

Unfortunately AFAIK 'Font Manager' is only available in Designer and Publisher currently

Please, anyone - WHERE is the Font Manager? Or is it only available on opening a document that is missing fonts?

I see the help docs mention it's under the 'Document menu' ... but I don't see a Document menu in Designer 1.10.0 (Mac).

• Staff
12 hours ago, tmd said:

Please, anyone - WHERE is the Font Manager? Or is it only available on opening a document that is missing fonts?

I see the help docs mention it's under the 'Document menu' ... but I don't see a Document menu in Designer 1.10.0 (Mac).

I can confirm that the Help File you're referring to is for Publisher and not Designer, hence you cannot find this menu.

When opening documents with missing fonts in Affinity Designer, you will see a pop-up 'toast' to inform you of this and the fonts will automatically be replaced so Affinity can draw the text.

My sincerest apologies as the information I provided above wasn't 100% correct, the 'Resource Manager' exists in both Designer & Publisher, however only Publisher contains the Font Manager dialog at this time. I have edited my above post with this information for further clarification.

I hope this clears things up :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

Thanks @Dan C - yes that clears it up. Apologies for missing the Publisher reference… I didn’t see it hiding in the URL. Time for on-page page headers in the help files me thinks 😊

On 9/8/2021 at 2:33 AM, Dan C said:

Otherwise, I'll be sure to add a 'vote' to bringing this feature to Photo :)

Another +1 for full integration to Designer then - especially as it has the capability already.

Thanks Dan.