You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Photopea Smart Objects coverted to pixel in Affinity Photo

• Staff

Hi @mmahmoodh,

Welcome to the Affinity Forums :)

2 hours ago, mmahmoodh said:

This problem of smart objects converting to pixel layer only happens on a psd document edited in photopea. Any psd saved in photoshop works fine.

This sounds as though it may be due to the way Photopea writes PSD files, if your Adobe PSDs are importing correct into Affinity.

Can you please provide a copy of your exported PSD from Photopea?

This will allow me to investigate this further, many thanks in advance!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

3 hours ago, Dan C said:

Hi @mmahmoodh,

Welcome to the Affinity Forums :)

This sounds as though it may be due to the way Photopea writes PSD files, if your Adobe PSDs are importing correct into Affinity.

Can you please provide a copy of your exported PSD from Photopea?

This will allow me to investigate this further, many thanks in advance!

Hi @Dan C

I have attached 2 files
1. "Smart Object from Photoshop" edited in psd and
2. "Smart Object from Photopea" saved after opening in photopea.

Hope we can get a solution for this. I don't want to go back to Photoshop.

Smart Object from Photopea.psd Smart Object from Photoshop.psd

• Staff

Apologies for the delayed response, as we were closed for a 'long weekend' due to the Bank Holiday here in the UK.

I can confirm I've been able to replicate this with your files provided - I suspect this is due to how Photopea 'writes' the PSD file, so I will log these with our developers now, however we only officially support .PSD files from Photoshop, as the way Photopea files are 'written' may not be compatible with Affinity, but the developers will be able to confirm this when they work to resolve the issue.

I hope this helps!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

2 hours ago, Dan C said:

Apologies for the delayed response, as we were closed for a 'long weekend' due to the Bank Holiday here in the UK.

I can confirm I've been able to replicate this with your files provided - I suspect this is due to how Photopea 'writes' the PSD file, so I will log these with our developers now, however we only officially support .PSD files from Photoshop, as the way Photopea files are 'written' may not be compatible with Affinity, but the developers will be able to confirm this when they work to resolve the issue.

I hope this helps!

Thank you for the clarification. I understand you only support the official photoshop psd but for people who want to get out of Adobe's hold, supporting photopea will be very helpful.
Anyway keep up the good work and purchasing Affinity is one of the best decisions I have done..

• 1 year later...

Hi, my name is Ivan and I am the creator of Photopea. I have fixed it (if you save a PSD with smart objects in Photopea, Affinity Photo will detect these smart objects).

Adobe Photoshop used to store the smart object data in a PlLd record. In Photoshop CS3, they started to use a new SoLd record (which supports smart filters, advanced warp, etc). So from Photoshop CS3 onward, Photoshop stores both SoLd and a PlLd record in a PSD file. Thanks to PlLd, you can open a modern PSD file in Photoshop CS2 or older, and you will see smart objects (no smart filters, but better than nothing).

Photopea used to store only the SoLd record. Now, it stores both SoLd and PlLd.

It seems like Affinity detects only PlLd. It would be nice to switch to SoLd.

11 hours ago, Ivan Kutskir said:

Hi, my name is Ivan and I am the creator of Photopea. I have fixed it (if you save a PSD with smart objects in Photopea, Affinity Photo will detect these smart objects).

Adobe Photoshop used to store the smart object data in a PlLd record. In Photoshop CS3, they started to use a new SoLd record (which supports smart filters, advanced warp, etc). So from Photoshop CS3 onward, Photoshop stores both SoLd and a PlLd record in a PSD file. Thanks to PlLd, you can open a modern PSD file in Photoshop CS2 or older, and you will see smart objects (no smart filters, but better than nothing).

Photopea used to store only the SoLd record. Now, it stores both SoLd and PlLd.

It seems like Affinity detects only PlLd. It would be nice to switch to SoLd.

Works fine now. Thank you fixing it. Solid work.