You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to crop an object on a layer but not the layer ?

How does one crop an object on a layer but not the entire layer ? 

Not resize, but crop. This is one of those simple operations in photoshop but seems to be a monster challenge in affinity photo mostly to find where on earth they moved the function because when the app was designed there was no keyboard. So finding said functionality is proving to be difficult. And yes I have searched google and came up with desktop solutions but not ipad solutions. 

6 hours ago, Miles Xx said:

And yes I have searched google and came up with desktop solutions but not ipad solutions. 

Would you mind sharing the „desktop solution“ with us?

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

2 hours ago, NotMyFault said:

Would you mind sharing the „desktop solution“ with us?

If I want to delete or remove a portion of an image I would use a selection tool, and then hit the delete key. 

Your solution above of having to rasterize the image first AND then delete is another way that you can do this as shown in the screencap below.

The difference is that if the first layer is the primary layer, and it is usually locked by default. If you attempt to select and remove as i suggested, it will

fail. You have to rasterize first and then remove. However, if the layer is above the primary layer and unlocked, then you should be able to use a selection tool, create a selection area and then press the delete key on your keyboard. Too bad that doesn't seem to be the case with the ipad version.

affinityPhoto-Desktop.jpg

9 hours ago, Miles Xx said:

How does one crop an object on a layer but not the entire layer ? 

Hi Miles, not sure what do you mean by 'Crop an object'? Are you referring to part of a raster image or some sort of vector shape overlaying the image?

Also not clear (to me) what you mean by,  '…but not the entire layer'? In photo each image object occupies its own layer.

if you just want to select a portion of the image to delete it, use the selection tools (the Pen tool can be used in Photo Persona mode), or switch to Selection Persona and you have all sorts of selection tools available. After making a selection, switch back to Photo Persona, long press on the screen and tap the desired option in the pop up menu eg. Delete, Cut, Duplicate.

2BB909DA-15B0-4DF2-A99A-D1B48F43AE8D.png

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

42 minutes ago, Miles Xx said:

Too bad that doesn't seem to be the case with the ipad version.

Pixel selection and deletion in the iPad version works the same way as in the desktop versions. In both cases you need to make sure you’re working on a ‘Pixel’ layer, not an ‘Image’ layer. The label in the Layers Studio will tell you if it’s an ‘Image’ layer: if it is, you need to rasterize it if you want to be able to work on it at the pixel level.

D33DF221-7545-4DCC-B617-B8CFB60F6911.jpeg

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 3 months later...
On 8/17/2021 at 4:55 PM, Miles Xx said:

If I want to delete or remove a portion of an image I would use a selection tool, and then hit the delete key. 

Wouldn’t that be glorious instead of having to switch personas and long-pressing/right-clicking to get the menu.