You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Text Frame Tool Locked into One Character per Line

That's right folks, whether typing or placing text the letters run vertically, one character and then a hard CR to the next line.  I can't find anything out of order in either the character or paragraph settings.

TIA

MacBook Air, M1 • OS 11.3.1
Mac Mini 7,1 • OS 10.13.1

Affinity Publisher 1.9.3 • Photo 1.10.1 • Designer 1.9.3

Is the Text Frame wide enough?
Screenshot?

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

You could try selecting the text frame and clicking the Revert defaults button in the toolbar to see if that clears whatever is causing the issue. Although, I think reverting to default will remove character and paragraph styling and text styles, so if the issue is text styling this won't solve the problem.

Windows 10 22H2, 32GB RAM | Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 (MSI/EXE)

Thanks for the replies, guys…

It's a peculiar problem which may have to do with an asset I had placed; it had a graphic a headline and a few lines of copy. It took me awhile to repeat it, but it has to do with clearing the asset text and replacing it with current text. (A text block in an asset will show up as separate texts blocks for every line.) Using the space inside the first line of copy (now, its own text block) as a starting point, if you paste the current copy into that one-line text block, it shows up as a single line for each character.

There's some thing Publisher doesn't like about adding additional text to a text block, when the dimensions of that block have been locked by the asset-izing. And as you can see, the text frame is  plenty wide.

TIA for your ideas.

Bill

FA.afpub

@mirabeau Peculiar.

Are you saying you saved a text frame as an asset in the Assets panel? When assets are placed on a page they can be fully edited — i.e., the dimensions of a text frame asset aren't locked, so I'm wondering if by 'asset' you're referring to something else.

The text frame column width in the Text Frame panel is set to "-0 in."

931825094_textframpanel.jpg.81538c5bfa3375dc857fe02e3d3c58a6.jpg

Change that to something bigger like 6 inches & the text will appear normally.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Bingo! Any idea how that column width got knocked back to 0.0", and how that should have held steady for ANY new text frame? If it's something more than the screw-ball pitch of copy included in the making of an asset, it would be nice to know how to avoid. Thanks to you, I know how to fix it.

8 hours ago, Brian_J said:

@mirabeau Peculiar.

Are you saying you saved a text frame as an asset in the Assets panel? When assets are placed on a page they can be fully edited — i.e., the dimensions of a text frame asset aren't locked, so I'm wondering if by 'asset' you're referring to something else.

Just to clarify, 1.) yes, this is an asset from the Asset sidebar (which I love), and 2.) although a text frame asset is fully editable, what asset-izing does is to take the single text frame going in and converting it to multiple, separate text frames, one for each line in the original text frame. Then when the asset (graphic/headline/copy) gets placed, balky behavior occurs when you try to edit (ie., replace the asset's text with new text) any of these one-line text frames.

Again, thanks for your helpfulness.

2 hours ago, mirabeau said:

2.) although a text frame asset is fully editable, what asset-izing does is to take the single text frame going in and converting it to multiple, separate text frames, one for each line in the original text frame.

Glad you got the width issue figured out. I guess this isn't related to the width issue, but I'm not experiencing the same thing you are when saving a text frame as an asset. I created a text frame with multiple pinned objects (vector and a PNG image), saved it as an asset, then placed the asset in a new file. The contents of Frame Text asset layer is the same as the original... it doesn't consist of multiple, separate text frames.

Screenshot.thumb.png.7440897fafb8bbd16d8e77433f923881.png

I've attached the APub file in case you feel like saving the text frame I created as an asset to see if you get a different result.

Frame Text.afpub

Yep, your asset behaves in my app the way it does in yours. (Open your asset, make my own asset from it, delete yours, place mine.) I was even able to drag a 2d asst in (an "open quotes" at 96pt. which I use for my pull quotes), and the text wrapping between the two kicked right in.

The effect I was describing was identical to a .pdf import WITHOUT "group lines of text into one text frame". And while this glitch wouldn't let go, even copying new text to a new frame, earlier MON, I had trouble getting it to misbehave to make the file I originally uploaded.

I get the hint <G>: Publisher wants me to upgrade to the minimum 10.12 (this machine is 10.11). That'll happen when my new Mac Air arrives (…been on order for a month, and Apple is still looking for the chips to make it with).

Edited by mirabeau
trying to find out how to post my hardware/software list, even after entering it in EditMyProfile>Activity.

• 1 month later...

I ran into the same issue tonight, and the only way out of it was to save Brian_J's provided text frame in my assets panel (tip'o'the'hat to you!). Column width, insets, none of this made any difference. I'm about ready to submit a Bug Report.

1-character lines.png

5 hours ago, mirabeau said:

I ran into the same issue tonight

*.afpub file? 

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

On 9/3/2021 at 3:13 AM, Pšenda said:

*.afpub file? 

Thanks for the reminder on what's needed for someone to get helped. Actually the first time this happened, I posted a .afpub file and Brain_J couldn't get to to misbehave. R C-R pointed out the column width which fixed it that time.

This time, on a deadline THU evening, column width (or anything else in the Text Frame panel) couldn't fix it. The next afternoon, everything was behaving itself, and I had no trouble creating a frame for a caption to a picture. My best guess is that all the coding in the app have figured out (by my extremely limited use of features) that they're dealing an absolute nube (guilty as charged, BTW), and that I was far more confident of my skills than I should be. They asked among themselves who was going to teach me some respect and humility and the Text Frame said "I got this".

As a back-up, I'm storing a blank text frame on my assets.

Again, I'm grateful for this supportive user community.