You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Numbers from excel - Publisher

Hi guys. Is there any way to import multiple numbers from an excel sheet into Publisher? I am making some flyers, and they have random numbers on them (if they were in order, I would set with page number, done that before) that are in a separate excel sheet. I need to make 500 pages and add codes to each page..

Is there any fast way to insert them, or do I have to manually copy paste each one of them? Thank you.

I'm assuming Data Merge is what you need to use. I've never used Data Merge so I can't offer any insight, but other's in here can help if you run into issues.

Affinity help:

https://affinity.help/publisher/en-US.lproj/index.html?page=pages/Advanced/dataMerge.html?title=Data merge

https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/tutorials/publisher/desktop/video/494072789/

Windows 10 22H2, 32GB RAM | Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 (MSI/EXE)

If you want to use lagarto's method I would make sure to have the Paragraph Style for the numbers set to use the Flow option of Start in Next Text Frame. That way you can have a large size text frame to hold the numbers.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

I'm primitive in this app, as I use Designer the most, and when a task like this comes along, I struggle. I've created a text frame (empty) in the master, and then pasted 10 codes in the 1st page, but it won't "flow" and I don't know where to activate it from - or what a flow arrow is. Your document is working, pasted 40 codes and all got placed nicely. But I can't figure out what you did to that text box to go to the next page.

Ok, I got it now, it works. What I was missing is 1. Zooming in because the arrow only shows up when you are waaay in (don't know why) 2. After paste and resize text, holding the shift key and pressing the flow arrow (that auto generated the pages). 

After doing both those, it worked flawlessly, I can recreate it now.  Thank you for not letting me mess around with Data merge, I am sure it will come to that too, but not today.

This tip with the shift is all I need for now. (after reading this, I also found it in the video tutorial, but before I started the thread I didn't even know what to look for, seems like "flow" / "text flow" were the keywords)

Thank you again.

1 minute ago, norbinw said:

Thank you for not letting me mess around with Data merge, I am sure it will come to that too, but not today.

A case would be if there are sequential numbers and random numbers needed on the same card or item. Easy to generate the numbers in Excel and export a csv file then use the data merge. But that is, as you say, for another day.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

For sequential, I used page number :))

But yes, the other thing I do in Publisher are price tags. 4x3cm price tags, that have a Name, Price, and Article number. All 3 in separate columns in excel. So I might look into that too.

26 minutes ago, norbinw said:

What I was missing is 1. Zooming in because the arrow only shows up when you are waaay in (don't know why)

Zooming in to see the arrow (text flow button) was required because of the vertical size of the text frame — due to available space for the arrow between the handles. The text flow button will display at 100% preview for most text frames.

Windows 10 22H2, 32GB RAM | Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 (MSI/EXE)