You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Google font family only showing multiples of single style in font selection drop-down

All fonts in the family Rubik from Google Fonts are showing as Rubik Light in Photo and Designer. I tried uninstalling/reinstalling the font, also Photo and Designer, there was no change. I read that ufont has crappy quality and likely old fonts that are not updated to work well, are Google Fonts just as bad?

Is there any way I can make this font work correctly without buying software?

rubik light only no exceptions.png

A quick forum search for “rubik” shows that various people have had issues with that font in various ways.
I think the Google fonts are selected to be used on-screen and so may not be ‘good enough’ for publishing purposes – for various reasons which I don’t have the technical know-how to describe.
Someone else – one of the font gurus – can probably advise on an alternative font which might work better.

32 minutes ago, PixelPest said:

Rubik comes in 2 classes: variable and static font. Both work in Affinity apps on macOS.

It seems that the OP has downloaded the variable version. The Affinity apps don’t support variable fonts yet, so your screenshot must be showing us the static version.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

7 minutes ago, PixelPest said:

Nope - both versions work - but not at the same time. Either install static or variable.

Are you sure that the static version isn’t still in your font cache? It seems odd that the OP has seven ‘weights’ in the list but you have eight, although that might be explained by the download coming from a different source.

Alfred spacer.png

Thanks for the help, yeah it must have been the Google font being a single file. I downloaded the same font from fontsquirrel and noticed the same ttf format but one ttf for each member of the family. After uninstalling the google garbage font and installing this one it is working now.

Many thanks

45 minutes ago, PixelPest said:

"Medium" is a duplicate and not "tolerated" by macOS. I installed the static - checked - delete - installed variable - checked. I don´t think it´s "cached" after deletion.

Ah, I hadn’t noticed the duplicate! It doesn’t help that the list is neither arranged by weight nor strictly alphabetical.

Alfred spacer.png

15 hours ago, McPhearson said:

All fonts in the family Rubik from Google Fonts are showing as Rubik Light in Photo and Designer. I tried uninstalling/reinstalling the font, also Photo and Designer, there was no change. I read that ufont has crappy quality and likely old fonts that are not updated to work well, are Google Fonts just as bad?

Is there any way I can make this font work correctly without buying software?

rubik light only no exceptions.png

You installed the variable font - Affinity apps do not support variable fonts.
Per the OpenType specs, when an application does not support variable fonts the default master is shown.
The Rubik variable font has two masters - Light and Black - and the Light is set as the default (by the font designer).
So that is what you see - Light.

The fix is to un-install the variable font(s) and install the static fonts (from the same ZIP you downloaded).

Note: most of the time variable fonts include a Regular master so that is the more common master chosen as default.
So instead of them all saying "Light" they will all say "Regular."

14 hours ago, PixelPest said:

Rubik comes in 2 classes: variable and static font. Both work in Affinity apps on macOS.

No, just the stupid font manager on Macs shows the variable fonts even though they are not supported.

On Windows the Affinity font selector shows what the OpenType specs recommend - the default master.

5 hours ago, PixelPest said:

I didn´t recommend this font at all when apps don´t support its feature set. Affinity shows/handles them as "static" fonts but kerning goes haywire - so no advantage for variable fonts here.

Nothing wrong with the fonts.
Nothing wrong with the kerning in either the static or the variable fonts.
Looks like a combination of operator error and confusion caused by Mac not following specs (again).