You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Save from home screen stopped working, while export works fine but...

So I opened a file from Dropbox into Affinity Designer but when I go today to save it from the home screen, it does nothing. I can jump to dropbox to see if it has received a file and is uploading (like it has done in the past) but nothing. Now if I export a file it works perfectly... saves right to Dropbox. Shows up in Dropbox and Files. Shows up on my desktop. So it seems maybe Dropbox isn't the issue, but something in Affinity Photo's save option...?

• Staff

Seems to be opening, saving and exporting to Dropbox fine for me. Dropbox did have an update available, check to make sure it's been downloaded, you may also want to restart the iPad as well, just in case.

When doing the save in Affinity and then switch to the Files app to tap Dropbox you do need to sometimes wait awhile for the thumbnail to update with the changes.

Thanks. Yeah, everything is up to date, and I've waited upwards of 15 minutes over multiple tries. Exporting the file to dropbox works perfectly and is fairly quick, save as to dropbox worked perfectly and is fairly quick. Saving however, seems to do nothing... which leads me to believe it isn't dropbox that is the problem, as then exporting and save as wouldn't work.

On 7/15/2021 at 6:35 AM, cgorsu said:

but something in Affinity Photo's save option...?

Affinity Photos 'Save' option (the 3bar menu on Home Screen) only saves to the ‘default' save Affinity Photo folder on iCloud or iPad (depending on which is set as the default).

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

Thanks DM1! I had no idea I had to turn on iCloud saving there in order for that to work. Ok, so since it previously was only saving to my iPad, where in the world are those files saved at… I see no “open from iPad” option for my previously saved files, (only open from iCloud, which now created a folder and works).

3 hours ago, cgorsu said:

I see no “open from iPad” option for my previously saved files, (only open from iCloud, which now created a folder and works).

It isn’t actually ‘Open From iCloud’, it’s ‘Open From Cloud’ (i.e. any cloud storage location) but it’s rather loosely named since it includes the location ‘On My iPad’.

26793EE3-2F5C-4584-A40E-E15C816C23A2.jpeg

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Thanks Alfred for that info, yeah, it should definitely be called "Open..." or "Open from files..." so that it includes the non-cloud iPad storage too. Unfortunately only one of the files I had "saved" to my iPad was in the Affinity iPad folder, so I'm back to where I started, with a save that maybe sometimes works or does nothing. At least I now know where to look to see if something has saved or not before closing the files. Thanks!