You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Artwork using the Pantone Colours of Vitality palette

An email from Pantone links to the following.

https://www.pantone.com/articles/colors/colours-of-vitality

So, I decided to try to produce some artwork using the colours in that palette.

It seems to me a good idea to make the design of the same size and resolution as needed to produce a greetings card at the Papier facility so that if I produce a design that I like, then I can order a greetings card and all being well, frame it.

The palette lists Pantone graphics colour numbers and I rather like the Pantone 7697 C colour, so I thought that I would try to produce the design using the Pantone colours in Affinity Designer, even though export to a jpg file will lose the Pantone codes.

So I searched for 7697 in some of the Pantone palettes in Affibity Designer, omitting the C at first, but all I have found is a deep teal colour, very different from the colour shown in the web page.

So can anyone explain this and how, if at all, I can get the colour shown in the web page please?

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

The Tiger Lily colour does not look the same as the Pantone 7597 C to me.

Also, the Bright Marigold and the Gold Fusion do not look like the same colours as their corresponding graphics colours, though not to the same extent.

Also, that vivid green on the heading does not seem to be in the palette, so I shall try to add that in in some other way.

If I do a Print Screen and paste it into Microsoft Paint, I can pick the colour, or one of many very similar colours in the area, and then find the RGB values using Edit colors in Paint.

But if I paste it into an Affinity Designer document I seem unable to pick the colour up from the image using the colour picker tool. I expect that it can be done, it is just that I do not know how to do it at present.

Interestingly, although the Papier facility prints using CMYK, I accidentally sent one image as a RGB jpg and the colours came out much brighter than they appear on screen if I convert to CMYK in Affinity Designer. So since then I send the images as RGB jpg files and I get colourful prints, though I have not checked for precise colour match. I wonder if Papier's contractor uses an advanced printing system that produces brighter colours than conventional CMYK such as on a desktop printer.

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

14 minutes ago, William Overington said:

But if I paste it into an Affinity Designer document I seem unable to pick the colour up from the image using the colour picker tool. I expect that it can be done, it is just that I do not know how to do it at present.

Please see Affinity Designer Help: Sampling colours

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

In addition to Alfred's hint, note that if you have an (Image) layer you might want to Rasterize it, or if you don't, and you're using the Color Picker Tool make sure that you turn off "Apply to Selection" on the Context Toolbar.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

42 minutes ago, William Overington said:

The Tiger Lily colour does not look the same as the Pantone 7597 C to me.

I don’t think they’re meant to be exactly the same. ‘Tigerlily’ and the other named swatches are cotton.

Alfred spacer.png

The second part of that palette resulted in it popping into my mind that I had used a similar palette many years ago.

I have found it.

In 2004 I produced a set of four PDF documents which differed only by the colour palette used.

At that time PagePlus included a lot of preset palettes, if I remember correctly there were five colours in each palette and one could produce a design using what one might call parameterized palettes (that is just my way of explaining it now) such that if one changed palette choice, all the colours in the document changed accordingly.

The PDF document properties show that PagePlus 9.04 was used to produce them. I do not remember seeing those palettes in more recent versions of PagePlus.

So I had a go at producing PDF documents using that technique.

I have found them this morning on the web.

Here is a link to the one that uses a similar palette.

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/view02.PDF

Along the way I found the following PDF document too.

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/terracotta.PDF

They, the other three in the view series, and some others are all linked from the following web page.

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/usinggraphicsandfonts.htm

Please note, the email address used in one of the pages is not monitored now. It still exists because it goes along with the webspace, but it just fills with spam all the time, so please do not send email to it.

I wonder if it will be possible from each to extract the design using Affinity Designer, paste it  onto a blank page of the correct size and produce a jpg file so that I can get a hardcopy print from Papier.

William

1 minute ago, William Overington said:

At that time PagePlus included a lot of preset palettes, if I remember correctly there were five colours in each palette and one could produce a design using what one might call parameterized palettes (that is just my way of explaining it now) such that if one changed palette choice, all the colours in the document changed accordingly.

All the versions of PagePlus that I have ever used include five ‘Scheme Colours’ which allow you to change the colour scheme quickly and easily.

Alfred spacer.png

15 minutes ago, Alfred said:

All the versions of PagePlus that I have ever used include five ‘Scheme Colours’ which allow you to change the colour scheme quickly and easily.

I am using PagePlus X7.

Using the term Scheme Colours I find that I need to turn on a tab to get them.

How do I do that please?

William

5 minutes ago, William Overington said:

I am using PagePlus X7.

Using the term Scheme Colours I find that I need to turn on a tab to get them.

How do I do that please?

Look for the Swatches tab in the Studio. If that doesn’t show you what you’re looking for and you can’t find your way to the Colour Scheme Designer dialog, please go to the CommunityPlus Forum for further help.

Alfred spacer.png

14 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Look for the Swatches tab in the Studio. If that doesn’t show you what you’re looking for and you can’t find your way to the Colour Scheme Designer dialog, please go to the CommunityPlus Forum for further help.

I’m sorry if that wasn’t the answer you were looking for, William! It’s just that I’m a little reluctant to fill an Affinity Forum thread with detailed discussion about aspects of Serif’s ‘Legacy’ applications. Try this tutorial:

https://community.serif.com/tutorials/details/272/custom-colour-schemes-pageplus-x7

Alfred spacer.png

I will need to ask in the PagePlus forum.

I seem to remember there were lots and lots of bars each with five colours in PagePLus 9. I found some swatches, Fruit etc in PagePlus X7 but not the bars as in PagePlus 9.

The main thing though was that I remembered a palette somewhat similar to the four colour terracotta-like palette in the recent Pantone web page.

----

I am thinking of applying the present Pantone palette to the following.

I found the following YouTube video about phrases in American Sign Language.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1desDduz5M

This is because Unicode character U+1F91F got be thinking.

https://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U1F900.pdf

I sometimes see people making that sign in crowd scenes on television news.

What I find interesting is that some of these require motion.

So can this be expressed as emoji with arrows, possibly arrows with an arrow head at each end in some cases, or does it need a sequence of emoji to express a phrase?

I have started designing and the idea I have is to use one colour for one hand or finger and another colour for the other hand or finger and then the arrow can have the same colour as the hand or figure that moves. Maybe other colours to show a sequence of hand positions, with an arrow having a tail in the start position colour and the head in the finish position colour, with the whole design clear at emoji size and with some monochrome fallback format too.

William